Custom 3D Symbol Creation

Kristine

Hi guys. One of my clients would like a particular light fitting incorporated into her design. I generally use stock models so know very little about creating 3D objects. Whilst it's something I'd love to learn more about one day, I'm on a tight time-line with this project and so far have already spent way too long trying to figure it out in Sketch Up! Was just wondering if anyone knows of an affordable service I can use? Or a really basic program? Have tried editing the photo and using it as a texture PNG with a transparent background on a shape though it just doesn't look good enough.Thanks in advance.

11261936_10152933332795544_4583235534396032770_n.jpg

Custom symbols cannot be made in Home Designer software titles. One can download and learn how to use Sketch Up (a free application for creating custom 3D symbols that can be imported into current Home Designer titles but NOT 2016 titles). In order to make that particular symbol you need and want you will have to find a Chief Architect user who still has an active copy of Chief Architect Premier that matches Home Designer 2016 - Chief Premier Version X7 (or version 17). A symbol made by any earlier version will not be compatible with HD 2016, the versions must match for compatibility. The same is true for Sketch-Up, in that current Sketch Up symbols are NOT compatible with older versions of Chief or Home Designer software. Current Chief and HD titles are only compatible with current versions of Sketch-Up. Not happy news but true none the less.

There are a few Advanced Chief Users who specialize in making custom 3D symbols that can be found at Chief Talk and elsewhere who could then help you.

DJP