Floor structure build up and changing it

greenacresmama

We are far along now, with the draftsman finished and back with lumber yard quotes with an engineered floor system (and roof trusses.) I am going over the window design (firming schedule) and there are some rather difficult choices, or software defaults I am facing.

My main point is to see how the room span/windows feel with the true heights and looking out two VIP windows: at a cooking garden view counter and at sink. It looks like the headers might not have enough room now? Maybe I need to bring the windows down and that would bring the window locks/sash right in front of our faces, so I am worried about not thinking this through and of course, especially the headers +counter top height + windows being too tall. It's does seem like a draftsman and I were talking about this but I am not so sure; I must research this on my own first too before I ask for changes to come. 

I have two defaults that I keep staring at, not understanding how to get past them, even if I must work it around by having the finishes be super large? I would feel more comfortable if 12 5/8 on the bottom was changed to 14" and the top was the same in the "stack" with the kitchen wing/project room/spare room , but only in the kitchen wing. The main parts of the house, or all other rooms will be 2x10's joists and for those, I would like to change it to 10". I think you all get my point? Any advice or work arounds would be appreciated.  Using AdvanTech subflooring, 5/8" drywall for the ceiling and 3/4" tongue and groove hardwood flooring (mostly). Thank you!

getting_help.plan.zip

Yes, Architectural won't let you adjust the joist depth. There have been other threads about what people do to make up for the differences.Search for them. It's a tough thing to get used to. Plus, if I remember right, the default floor uses I-joists only.

• Like 1