How to adjust roof height with a shed roof.

AngieRobshaw

I am trying to make a shed roof that starts at 8' and ends at 14'. I'm having difficultly finding how to do this in a simple way. I have adjusted the rough ceiling heights to 14' but the roof is measuring 12' at the highest point, and though I adjusted the rough ceiling height to 8', it's still measuring at 9'. What am I doing wrong?

The only way I have been able to figure out the wall height ( and I'm sure this is a terrible way) is to look at the house in framing view and click on individual studs.

Also is there a way to check the height of a wall at any point you wish? Since the house in one continuous shed roof, that would be helpful. 

Thank you,

Angie

modern_experiment.plan

9 minutes ago, AngieRobshaw said:

I am trying to make a shed roof that starts at 8' and ends at 14'.

Think of a right triangle. The hypotenuse is the roof, the short leg is probably the rise, in your case 6', and the long leg only you know.

Plug in the numbers, do some trig to find angle A. Convert to pitch. 

ht1.thumb.png.c79a64ca3ce1f2409e9db76d84451f35.png

Or using manual roofs, draw the roof, open it and adjust the settings -- no need to compute pitch.

22 minutes ago, AngieRobshaw said:

The only way I have been able to figure out the wall height

What are you calling wall height? This dialog should give you that info.

ht2.thumb.png.56cbc933cfaaa45bbfcfc60acf9493a2.png

27 minutes ago, AngieRobshaw said:

Also is there a way to check the height of a wall at any point you wish?

There are a variety of dimension tools that may be used. What specifically do you need to measure?

On 10/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, solver said:

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/fRYTClr7hpA?hd=1

Eric, Thank you for the video explanation, it helped a lot, I watched it twice and will watch it again. I used a combination of JoAnne's idea and yours to get my wall heights correct. Unfortunately when I Auto Build roof, it is floating over my house. Do you know what do I need to adjust?

Angie

P.s. It would be so amazing if the shed roof had a handle to raise or lower it. Maybe that will be an upgrade. 

Screenshot 2019-10-20 14.36.23.png

modern experiment.plan

Not sure why you re-posted the exact same plan (with no changes) that you originally posted?

BUT.. you need to check your lowest roof height in the bedrooms (if you are using the soffit for height method, you will see).

You have also made some mistakes when drawing your walls, that need to be fixed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

Not sure why you re-posted the exact same plan (with no changes) that you originally posted?

BUT.. you need to check your lowest roof height in the bedrooms (if you are using the soffit for height method, you will see).

You have also made some mistakes when drawing your walls, that need to be fixed.

I think I had already "fixed" it by the time you opened it. But maybe I did just repost the same picture. I've been working on this plan all day and my brain is shutting down :) I think I finally fixed the wall height correctly. Thank you for pointing that out. 

Could you indicate what might need fixing on my drawing? Or what I should be looking for?

Thank you again,

Angie

It seems that you dragged your walls up to the height and shape that you wanted.  This is usually a no-no.    There also are currently useless attic walls on the attic level (did you draw them?). Delete them.
 All the rooms need to be set to the default ceiling height of the bedrooms (rough ceiling 96"), and then allow the attic walls to rebuild.

To fix the framing (up on the tool bar)>  Build framing> 2nd> wall> auto-build wall framing.

Since you used a manual roof plane, open it's dbx.
Set the baseline height to 239" and then re-lock it.
Set the ridge top height to 315"
Set the pitch to 1.75"

This should at least get the roof heights really close to what you are trying to get.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:15 PM, Jo_Ann said:

It seems that you dragged your walls up to the height and shape that you wanted.  This is usually a no-no.    There also are currently useless attic walls on the attic level (did you draw them?). Delete them.
 All the rooms need to be set to the default ceiling height of the bedrooms (rough ceiling 96"), and then allow the attic walls to rebuild.

To fix the framing (up on the tool bar)>  Build framing> 2nd> wall> auto-build wall framing.

Since you used a manual roof plane, open it's dbx.
Set the baseline height to 239" and then re-lock it.
Set the ridge top height to 315"
Set the pitch to 1.75"

This should at least get the roof heights really close to what you are trying to get.

Jo_Ann, I really appreciate all the help. I didn't realize dragging the walls was a no-no. Also didn't realize about the Auto Build walls feature, I'm very excited about this. I'm learning my way thru this. Wish I could take a class. The attic walls, I don't know how they got there, but there is not supposed to be an attic, the ceiling is the roof line. I tried and tried to delete them but they remained. I accidentally went up a floor and there they were, I was finally able to get rid of them. 

The roof help is phenomenal, I limped my way thru to get it mostly right. I will implement all of the changes you recommended.

I did figure out that I could use the cross section/ elevation tool to get the wall height of both ends of the house.

God Bless your Day,

Angie

Question, to get the roof dimensions, did you use Eric's Trigonometry method or another way? I would like to learn how to do it confidently myself. Unfortunately Erics idea of "simple trig" isn't simple to me. I know I can learn it with more instruction, but I wondered if there was another way.

I did go back and do what you said on the walls. Unfortunatly, every time I draw in a wall, it adds that pesky attic wall back in. I turned off Auto build attic walls, but it's still happening.

When you select 'no ceiling over this room',  the underside of the roof becomes the ceiling.

BUT...the software still sees the space between the roof plane and the set ceiling height of the room, to be 'attic' space, so it builds 'attic' walls. You NEED to let the attic walls build.

I used the soffit method.  Set the walls on one side of the building as invisible, so that you can see the relation between the soffits and the roof plane, as you change the settings on the plane.

P.S.  In your default settings, for some reason you have set the soffit default to 'sloped'?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

When you select 'no ceiling over this room',  the underside of the roof becomes the ceiling.

BUT...the software still sees the space between the roof plane and the set ceiling height of the room, to be 'attic' space, so it builds 'attic' walls. You NEED to let the attic walls build.

I used the soffit method.  Set the walls on one side of the building as invisible, so that you can see the relation between the soffits and the roof plane, as you change the settings on the plane.

P.S.  In your default settings, for some reason you have set the soffit default to 'sloped'?

Ok, Progress. Your method worked great for the interior walls. I did have to change the wall setting to "balloon through walls" to get it to work. However when I tried it on the exterior walls crazy things started happening. One wall shot thru the roof. Another, when I deleted it auto rebuilt a wall across the living room, when I tried to delete it more strange things happened. I ended up backing out of everything I tried and leaving the exterior walls as they were. 

Question : Ideas on what I have wrong on the exterior walls?

Question: I can't find where my soffit setting are located, other than the cabinet soffits. Can you direct me?

Question: When you use the invisible wall method to check the relationship between the soffit and the roof plane, which view is best? I was using the cross section elevation tool.

And Question: Do you know if you or someone offers tutoring? I think I could learn much faster that way. Hopefully :)