Cabinet Defaults not working

447Debbie

I'm trying to create a wall cabinet with the default cabinet door to be CLEARCOAT walnut.  You can see I have the default set at CLEARCOAT walnut.  However, when I go to the cabinet and tell it to use the default, it uses some other walnut (you'll have to trust me that these are two totally different walnuts).  On the picture I have attached, I selected CLEARCOAT walnut so that you see what it looks like, then I checked the 'Use Default' box.  Once I check the 'Use default' box, it reverts to the other generic walnut.  What am I doing wrong?

junk1.jpg

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "physically based" to "standard".  I've never run across those terms.

I have the same problem defining defaults with the crown molding.  The crown molding default in the room seems to override the crown molding material default on the cabinets.  (They are different).  I wonder if there is a cabinet door default being define elsewhere that overrides the cabinet door on the cabinet.

In your picture on the right, above the plain walnut comment, there is a little picture of a house w/a yellow roof. look there and change it from "physically based" to "standard." It will change how the material looks and it may be what you want.

Plan view is showing the plain walnut when I use defaults even though the default is CLEARCOAT walnut.  Draw fronts on the base cabinets have the same problem. 

Crown on the cabinet can have the cabinet default set as CLEARCOAT walnut, but when I choose default for the crown on the individual cabinet, it uses white, which is what I use for the wall crown molding.

I think this is a bug.

I found the problem with drawer fronts and doors.  Those defaults had to be set under

Default Settings

Materials

Edit

Cabinet Door / Drawer

I was setting them under

Default Settings
Cabinets
Base or Wall or whatever
Materials
Then Drawer/Door

Home Designer and Chief Architect software is basically a robotic assistant BUT you must tell it what to do, otherwise, it just keeps following preset "Defaults" unless you manually change those default material settings yourself. 

There are several places to set the default materials for Cabinets:

1. In "Edit - Default Settings - Cabinets" there are default setting for each cabinet type (Base, Wall and Full Height)

2. In "Edit - Default Settings - Materials" there are separate settings for Cabinet, Cabinet Door/Drawer

The software is not programmed to do this for you, you must manually address the settings above per object to make sure the software then does "automatically" what you wish.

DJP