Moving terrain data in my plan

Breeze

I've imported terrain data into my plan and adjusted my terrain perimeter.

I'm now trying to move my terrain data over to my house... however all my elevation data points seem to get left behind and therefore my terrain becomes flat. If I attempt to move the house to the terrain it screws up all the elevation points and messes up the terrain.

How do I group and lock in my terrain data?

Attached is a snapshot showing the terrain data and my house plan. In my second snapshot it shows the terrain permimeter moved with the contour lines but the elevations data points were left behind.

Thanks for any help.

Breeze

Home Designer Pro 2015

post-1124-0-64672200-1417572970_thumb.png

post-1124-0-96146100-1417572973_thumb.png

The safest way to do this is to turn off all layers that are connected to the house. Turn on all layers relative to the terrain (terrain, roads, sidewalks), then turn on the "Reference floor" display which shows the virtual layers of the house when can then be used to orient the terrain etc to the house.

When you have it where you wnat it, you can turn back on the layers of the house, walls, windows, roof planes etc. Just keep them separate and unselectable while you otient the terrain to the house.

DJP

• Upvote 1

DavidJPotter,

Thank you for your quick response.

As you suggested I turned off all layers associated to the house and turned on all layers relative to the terrain (terrain, roads, sidewalks). I then turned on the "Reference floor" display. However when I tried to move the terrain it still only moved the terrain perimeter and the elevation data points and the contours were left behind...

Thanks again,

Glen

I think I got it... now I need to remember which layers to turn back on... ;) are there default settings? Is there an easier way as it's nice to see the house in the terrain when moving it around.

Thanks again

Glen

Having used the software for almost 25 years, I have tried many things and moving the house on the terrain is NOT WORKABLE, what I suggested above is what I do. I do not do anything else EVER. It is done carefully, methodically and ONLY WHEN NECESSARY.

yOU NEVER ROTATE THE HOUSE NEVER, YOU ROTATE THE TERRAIN and related objects, if  you do something else you have failed to do as I suggested. This is one of those few times when there is only ONE SAFE WAY to do something. Do as I outline and nothing else.

You "Marquee-Select" all objects that you want to move or rotate, all at once (that is why you turn off all other layers that you DO NOT intend to move or rotate first). It is easy to do but must be carefully-methodically done if ever done at all. If you mess it up, hit "UNDO" and try again until you get it right.

DJP

Just because someone can do something does not mean it is a good idea. I have tried, early on moving the structure or structures in relation to other structures and relative to terrain loaction. In some instances you have no choice when modeling multiple structures. But such work should be done withe utmost care with liberal use of the "Undo" command and furthermore using a copy of your original plan in case everything goes South, you have something to fall back on.

If there is any way to make sure you guys do not make the same mistakes I made, I am interested in seeing about that.

DJP

• 1 year later...

The safest way to do this is to turn off all layers that are connected to the house. Turn on all layers relative to the terrain (terrain, roads, sidewalks), then turn on the "Reference floor" display which shows the virtual layers of the house when can then be used to orient the terrain etc to the house.

When you have it where you wnat it, you can turn back on the layers of the house, walls, windows, roof planes etc. Just keep them separate and unselectable while you otient the terrain to the house.

DJP

Just to add a comment, it appears that it is not possible to move the contours directly.  You can move the data points and then Clear/Rebuild the terrain in a new location following David's procedure.  I have set up a "Move Topo" layer set with all roads/sidewalk  and topo information turned on and everything else turned off.