Why is siding material continuing through windows?

BuilderCT

Go to solution Solved by BuilderCT,

Hi everyone,

I am working on concept renderings and floor plans for a renovation and am having some trouble.  I typically have no trouble placing new windows in a wall assembly but for some reason the windows on the second floor are not working correctly.  Any time I add a window on this level CA inserts the window frame but allows the siding to run through the window surface.  In other words, I see lap siding inside of any new window I place.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  All of the default window settings are the same and I have no trouble placing new windows on any other floor of the house.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jarrett

post-1214-0-85503700-1417432457_thumb.jpg

The most common cause is where two wall segments can overlap from floor to floor obscuring fully or partially wall penetrations (windows and doors). If you have Home Designer Pro this is rather easy and straight forward to repair. If you have anything else than Home Designer Pro then you must find and straighten out the incorrect settings you knowingly or unknowingly impenged or allowed to be impenged upon the plan file you are  having trouble with.

I agree with Eric in that having a copy of your plan file, whatever the version and title witll make helping you easier to do.

DJP

Eric and Dave,

Thank you for the advice.  Here is the uploaded plan file.  This is my first attempt using CA but I have found most of the program features are very intuitive.  I really appreciate your input.  The windows were causing me trouble on second floor and I also struggled in the attic trying to create a simple Nantucket style dormer.  I couldn't get the dormer roofs to be continuous. 

Waterside Lane R4 Laundry Rm Mods.plan

On Floor 1, you've got some crazy off-angle walls on Floor 1 (Examples: -89.914382° and -179.914382°) that if you fix all of these, your windows will display fine. 

You should probably turn your Angle Snaps back on too, if you've turned them off, to avoid that happening again in the future.

• Upvote 2

Jarret you have done a lovely job on that house Congratulations. I am using pro and I have not had a look at your plan but what I have found when I am creating Cape Cod and loft style homes I end up with double walls then the timbercladding shows in my windows.  If you know how to use the cameras have a look with your cameras and often during the process do a camera view then a glass house view. Before you do so much detailed work on the plan practice doing the perimeter walls and roof lines over and over. Especially the walls between roof line. As my 12 year old granddaughter said to me . 

" Stop thinking like a professional grandma have some fun with the program then you will not get so upset when you make mistakes. Eventually you'll learn it all."

Out of the mouths of babes. LOL

• Solution

Thank you so much David and Kat.  All of your advice and helpful Youtube video helped me work out most of the bugs on this plan.  What a fantastic first experience posting on this board.  I look forward to learning a lot from everybody here in the future. 

All the best,

Jarrett

• 5 years later...