Import dxf contours file

ijwilson

Currently thinking about buying Home Designer Pro to play around with a few ideas for a house on some land I'm considering purchasing. The local council website has some pretty useful tools including the ability to generate a dxf file containing contour information on land in the area. Can I import this file to create the terrain the house will sit on? The data covers a much larger area than the section itself, I presume this can be trimmed to reflect the actual boundary.

Screenshot of the section attached with contour data overlaid.

post-1209-0-39783400-1417411539_thumb.jpg

Secondly I have some unconventional ideas to make the most of the sites view and contour. While the attached photo is not what I'll be building its an example of the kind of structure in general terms - is this something the software can cope with, without to much difficulty? What about an internal courtyard, either open to the sky or with a glasshouse style roof? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to invest a large amount of time if it's a nightmare to turn my ideas into something more solid.

post-1209-0-05574800-1417412266_thumb.jpg

post-1209-0-45456500-1417412561_thumb.jpg

Software on its  own does very little. Once you learn how to best use the software you have you can then do limitless things within its capabilities. The difference between great results and no results is the intention of the user and his or her willingness to study and practice so as to know what to do and why.

Learn the software first please before launching into a complicated, demanding job of 3D modeling is my advice.

A lady in Houston who owns Home Designer Pro 2014 hired me to model the home attached as images below, I did so using Chief Architect Premier X5. She wanted to be able to space plan and make interior decorating choices with this plan file using her software.

So yes you can do this sort of Architecture once you learn how to (it takes time to do properly) I have been using and teaching this software since 1994, so I had a head start but you can as well.

DJP

post-21-0-11332200-1417459354_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-57359000-1417459364_thumb.jpg

Pro can import a number of different types of Topo Data but to be sure I would install the Trial Version and see if it can import the File obtained from you local Council , you'll be able to play with it but the Trial can't save ,print or export anything ( so don't close the program or turn off computer till finished "playing" ,then activate/buy the Program if you decide it'll work and you want to save it.)

this video may help ? http://video.homedesigner.chiefarchitect.com/player/player.php?id=310&th=1&autoplay=