Complex roof giving me trouble in HDP 2020

jay-dub

I am having a bit of trouble with the roof of the house I am designing. Here is what I have so far.

image.thumb.png.1a063702f6e0fa7dfb643fdaf161bab8.png

My problem is over the garage. It's currently an 8/12 pitch but I need to make it 12/12. Wehn I change the pitch over the garage, I get lost trying to make everything work correctly. Also, the area circled seems like a bad convergence for rain water. 

image.thumb.png.7de847e4f1859909cb9a67b6767e920c.png

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the roof to work correctly. In the below pics, I've changed the garage planes to 12/12. The rest is 8/12. 

image.thumb.png.003e79cd0cf6b79ed030f0548491f719.png

image.thumb.png.7d475ce7fb1a10f6b3ca058e13428424.png

Here is an example of what I'd LIKE for it to look like (I'll add the dormer later). 

image.thumb.png.1947f9a1b9da26780d22c4f1466505af.png

image.thumb.png.36d11702b3839e85736e5edf6dfaf0ec.png

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

roof.plan

7 minutes ago, solver said:

No roof in your plan.

OK I uploaded an older version (without the roof). The new one roof.plan has the roof in it as well. I added the railings to the front of the house near the garage/front porch to stop HDP from putting a massive valley through the center of the house. It's the only way I could figure out how to do it. 

Your plan, specifically the angled garage makes a clean roof difficult.

I'm not a fan of a hip roof with a few gables added for "looks", so here is an idea for a all gable roof. Done manually starting with an auto build, quickly and needs work. 

You might start with something like this, then add the hips back in.

ht1.thumb.png.79ae6873d9643ae46565e20a33f54840.pnght2.thumb.png.71b1ade3241e6c37a9d5f43d8488aea1.png

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Your plan, specifically the angled garage makes a clean roof difficult.

I'm not a fan of a hip roof with a few gables added for "looks", so here is an idea for a all gable roof. Done manually starting with an auto build, quickly and needs work. 

You might start with something like this, then add the hips back in.

ht1.thumb.png.79ae6873d9643ae46565e20a33f54840.pnght2.thumb.png.71b1ade3241e6c37a9d5f43d8488aea1.png

I like the nice clean lines of the roof you came up with. Much better than the hips. I'll give that a shot. I am not sure I possess the skills to fine tune the roof after the auto build but I'm also not one to back down from a challenge. 

What pitch are you using in your examples? 

4 minutes ago, jay-dub said:

I am not sure I possess the skills to fine tune the roof after the auto build but I'm also not one to back down from a challenge. 

Manual roofs just take practice.

Good videos on the Chief Architect YouTube channel. David Potter YouTube also.

7 minutes ago, jay-dub said:

What pitch are you using in your examples? 

These are 12, others except the back porch are 7. Goal was to align the ridges when looking from the front, and make the gables in the front match.

ht1.png

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Manual roofs just take practice.

Good videos on the Chief Architect YouTube channel. David Potter YouTube also.

These are 12, others except the back porch are 7. Goal was to align the ridges when looking from the front, and make the gables in the front match.

ht1.png

I'll check out the videos. Here is what I was using as a target, with the exception of the front-facing garage gable. The point where the roofs converge to the left of the front porch gable is a point of concern for rain. 

image.thumb.png.5df10fa35b611208a6e5dec077249929.png

Appreciate the help, Eric. I'll work on it and post back what I come up with. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 6:49 PM, solver said:

One other suggestion.

Add your 2nd floor rooms now. When working on the roof it's important to have the structure below in place.

Good advice. I was wondering if that was a prerequisite to building the roof. I'm still struggling with the roof though. I've not ever designed a roof like this. I've spent several hours/days on it and no matter what I do I keep ending up with a few planes I cant get right. 

Thanks for the tip, Eric!

If you are designing remodeling or additions, then the existing structure (called in the remodeling business the "as-built") it is important to get such a structure as relationally correct as is possible, otherwise, your plans are then inaccurate and functionally useless.

On completely new constructs you then have greater freedom and latitude as the designer. What you are doing determines the importance of any existing structure.

DJP