Adding half story to existing garage plan with 2 story home

mliptack

I have been spending some time 3D modeling the home that my family and I recently purchased. The home is 2 stories with an attached garage.

We would like to add a second garage, that would be detached, with a half story workshop above. However, when drawing the garage it only draws as a single story building. I can raise the structure height, but it does not offer the loft space in the second story of the plan as I would like. If I go to the "Floor Tools" adding a story only adds a 3rd story to the house and it ignores the garage.

I have also tried adding exterior walls on the second story, but it did not recognize the change. It showed on the 2D model but no change to 3D. 

How do I add a second story, to a one story structure that is on the same drawing as a 2 story building? I am at a loss and am hoping I do not need to delete the house and start over. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I am using HD Suite 2019.

I have attached 3 images. 1: Doll house view of the garage and side of house; 2: Garage floorplan; 3: the 2nd story showing the gable walls of the garage.

2019-08-20 17_33_06-Home Designer Suite 2019.jpg

2019-08-20 17_33_31-Home Designer Suite 2019.png

2019-08-20 17_33_47-Home Designer Suite 2019.png

HD is programmed to allow "Living space" to be created on Floor zero, one, two or three, never in the Attic or <A> floor level, so f your garage plan does not yet include a second floor you are just wasting time. You leave the roof planes resting on the first floor and then manually draw the walls for the attic room on floor two but underneath the existing roof planes of the first floor. That is how you then get a "storey and a half" outcome.

DJP

If you added west and east exterior walls on the 2nd floor showing in your 3rd pic, (completing the rectangle with the 2 existing walls)  then you did not form a 'room'.   Those 2 existing walls (north & south) are attic walls.  Either draw over them, or change their settings.

Those 2 existing walls (north & south) are attic walls.  Either draw over them, or change their settings.

The key thing is those existing gable walls are marked No Room Definition. That setting needs to be cleared.

2 hours ago, mliptack said:

How do I add a second story, to a one story structure that is on the same drawing as a 2 story building?

You don't need to add a second story -- you already have one. 

Draw 4 walls roughly over the garage. Build the roof and you should see a room and new roof.