How do I create a moat?

Keith_K

I tried using the terrain "stream" tool but when I joined the four sides the system created a circular thing.

Then, as you can see at the top left of the attachment I tried using the pool tools but the system doesn't appreciate me trying to fiddle with the size and won't let me extend the long and narrow pool beyond about 30 metres.  Apart from that I don't want any hard edge to the moat that the pool tool creates.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

post-52-0-69302500-1417107844_thumb.jpg

Keith,

I'm not sure how you want your moat to look like, but here is my version of a moat or pond.

I used the valley tool as David suggested.  I then added a terrain round feature (which contoured to the valley) and changed it's texture to dirt. 

I then added a soffit lowered to the bottom of the pond and added a 'dirt & gravel' texture (texture enlarged using the rainbow tool), which created the pond floor.

Of course I HAD to add rocks and fish.

Last thing I added was another soffit, enlarged beyond the perimeter of the pond and lowered until it looked to be the right level in the pond.  I changed the soffit texture to 'corsica glass' (library),  which I then used the rainbow tool to alter the color and transparency of, to make it look like water. :P

post-63-0-00738500-1417132125_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

The moat needs to surround the building and pass under the driveway.  I've "sort" of drawn it in the attachment.

David, the result in your video was interesting.  Unfortunately your actions are too quick to follow and the image, even enlarged to the max on my monitor, isn't big enough for me to see what you are clicking on to follow what you are doing.

post-52-0-65414400-1417179019_thumb.jpg

Yes, Jo-ann, very much like that. :)

I had a bit of a light-bulb moment this morning, searched the knowledge base and found article KB-00440 - Creating An Outdoor Swimming Pool...

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00440/

Then, using a simple little saved plan that I use when I want to fiddle and see how things work I followed the instructions (well, most of them) and created what you see in the attachments. Probably needs a bit more adjustment to the depths and stuff but I'm quite chuffed with myself and am ever so grateful that I still have the capacity to think. It can work wonders. Sometimes. :rolleyes:

p.s.  I love your bridge!

post-52-0-49600600-1417367523_thumb.jpg post-52-0-50527300-1417367561_thumb.jpg

Keith,

I was curious as to what type of edge you gave to your moat...but I can't tell in the pic you posted. 

It looks like maybe you used soffits for the water?

I used 'custom countertop' for the water.  I added polyline breaks, which enabled me to wrap the counter around the moat. Where the two ends joined, I mitered the corners.  I think the mitered corners look better in 3d view.

The bridge is in the library.

P.S.  Exporting a jpg is always easier than doing a screen shot, because there are no toolbars visible in the export (that need to be cropped). 

Also, fill your screen monitor with the pic you want to export. 

I created a new folder to save my pics to, and labeled it 'hometalk uploads'.  That way it's always easy to navigate to where your pic is, and you always know what pics you have uploaded.  :)

What I did on my second attempt was also a wasted effort, Jo-Ann. I did the full screen thing and saw that it created hard edges where the four sides joined.

When I can figure out a way to get the valley tool to work, decipher David's video and get my brain into some sort of gear for your suggestion I will give it another go.  Until then the castle can remain moatless. ;)