Monitor style pole barn

losttrail

Hello.

I recently upgraded from Home Designer Suite 2018 to Home Designer Architectural 2020.

We are getting ready to start building our retirement home back in my home of Montana. We have decided that we want a Monitor style Pole barn look, see the attached image. Still discussing with builder as to whether structure will be traditional stick framing 2x6 or pole barn.

I can get the mail floor designed, no problem. What I am having trouble with is the 2nd "floor" structure. In our case, that feature will NOT be an actual floor since we are done with stairs. We just love the look and want it for light and ventilation.

I have found the threads for pole barn design here in this forum, but they do not address the Monitor style, just simple gable roof. Looking for info on how to design the 2nd 'floor' roof and have it open to below.

Again, I don't need to design for pole barn structure, I can use standard 6" exterior walls. I just need to get the style so I can submit to our builder and we can then determine if he will construct by standard 2x6 stick frame or pole barn. He has many years of experience in both and we have seen multiple examples in person of his work on both and have talked with many of his customers, some of which will be our neighbors.

Hopefully HD Architectural 2020 is capable of this and I'm just missing something.

Thanks!

2008-03-11_093-747x426.jpg

6 hours ago, solver said:

There are multiple ways to do this. 

Here I've defined a center room with a higher ceiling.

ht1.thumb.png.daccb2cb2565a3c030a876e208143135.png

You might also create a 2nd floor room that would do the same.

You may want to get the roof correct, then turn off auto rebuild and complete the interior walls.

What's the problem?

Maybe I'm not getting the elevation of the 2nd floor correct?

1. I keep getting 'voids' in the triangular section between what appears to be the ceiling of the first floor and the roof of the first floor. I have the first floor set as NOT having a flat ceiling.

2. I cannot get the 2nd floor to allow me to pick "Open to below", it's always greyed out.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, solver said:

I raised the ceiling in the 2nd floor room.

Remember that ceilings control where the roof builds.

ht1.thumb.png.bb688b24c637feaf5ec83f253cdceb95.png

Hi Eric.

I started over and created this: Capture.png. I do not have flat ceilings inside since we are wanting vaulted ceilings using scissor trusses or TJI joists.

Now the issue is that the bottom of the 2nd floor walls are showing inside well below the ceiling: Capture2.png

What am I not getting?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

1 hour ago, solver said:

Have you considered the volume of that large room? Heating and cooling, and just generally how people will feel dwarfed in the space. Our goal is to have 12' wall height on the side walls and go up from there on a 4:12 pitch roof and whatever the engineer comes up with on the scissor truss or use TJI joists.

ht1.thumb.png.0dbda4e852b7df562c671588d258f5f5.png

Yes. But this software is not adjusting the 1st floor wall height no matter how I change it. Tried making the 1st floor walls 48" but nothing chaged.