Simple Roof design problem....

ExmoorDan

I have the home designer suite in order to design an extension for my house.
However I'm not sure that it can draw the roof that I want, can you please advise?

The main house roof is gabled, ridge running East/West
The wing roof, also gabled, ridge runs North/South, - the eaves of the wing are higher than the main house and the ridge is lower, so the pitch is also different.

My best effort is enclosed, the main roof is fine, I just can't draw the wing with half height 2nd floor walls which fit/blend into the main house.

Any help much appreciated please!

Dan

Sansouci Big.plan

I worked on this for a bit and was not able to get your roof to auto build.

There are several people here that are better than me at this -- maybe they will take a look.

It will help to have dimensions for the roof for the larger part of the 2nd floor. Fascia height or some other dimension that locates the roof planes, and the ceiling height and roof pitch for the extension.

Thanks for that! 

As this is a proposed extension I want all dimensions to be fluid so that we can look at various possible options going forward.

I'm hoping that when I learn how to create the drawing/model it will be possible to change/adjust as required....

The plan that you posted is incomplete.
You created a 2nd floor, but there are no definable rooms.   Roof settings on some of the walls are wrong.

Initially, temporary ceiling heights determine where the roof eaves sit on the walls.  Non of this info is available.
This roof is easy to auto-build, when given with the correct information.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jo_Ann, So I have built the wing as a room with half height walls and full height ceiling, gable walls at each end.

Then the roof will auto build, but I can't get it to blend as in my sketch

Also how do I make the pitch different for each of the two roofs?

Can you demonstrate how it should be done please

Thanks

Dan

Hi Jo_Ann, Thanks for your help, it's got me a little closer to what I need but I still can't replicate what you did, where am I going wrong?

1 I draw floor 1

2 I draw floor two with just three reduced height walls as your image with ridge and hip walls as shown

3 The roof generated ignores floor two and simply sits on floor 1.....?

Can you please also explain how to make the two roofs have different pitches?

Thanks

That roof you want is the easiest to build using auto rebuild. You have to build a 2nd floor the same as the 1st floor, you have

a staircase there, even if you build a stairwell what purpose would it be for as you have no 2nd floor.

First build a 2nd floor (complete), then lower the ceiling height to what you want, next click on each wall and change the pitch or

open the build roof from the drop down list and change the pitch there, (keep in mind this will change the pitch for whole plan

not an individual room). Lastly uncheck auto rebuild roofs and reset to the ceiling heights to there defaults.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I'm back to this same problem, files enclosed of my best efforts.

Sansouci.plan is the current bungalow.

Sansouci Big.plan is my effort trying to add a second floor built into a steeper pitched roof space.

Solutions provided by Jo_Ann and LawB10 both look great but I can't get there, are these done with Home Designer Suite? Or must I upgrade?

Still can't work out where I am going wrong.

Thanks!

Dan

Sansouci Big.plan

Sansouci.plan

Upgrading to Home Designer Pro would lead, once you learn how to use its roof tools, to a solution. Competence with one's tools is more important than the tools but in the case of a cape cod type house, you will be better served by Pro than otherwise. Just keep in mind that software is not a substitute for your own competence, software, once learned tends to then make things easier to do.

DJP

Yes. You can do this with Suite.
You have done well with your progress, but getting the gable wall roof  (east wall, I presume?) to perfectly blend with with the half-height wall involves some trickery.
Your main roof pitch seems extremely steep.  Do you intend to keep that pitch?
Were you planning to change the roof pitch on the half-height wing room?
Do you plan to keep the ceiling heights set for building the roof on both the wing room and the rest of the 2nd floor?  The reason I ask, is because the main rooms   (office and family) are set to 480mm.  This raises the bottom eave of the roof, up off the 2nd floor.

All of this info needs to be known (and permanently set) before trickery can begin.

Brilliant that is good news, and I love a bit of trickery!

So, yes the roof is a little bit too steep, 45 degrees for all roofs is where it should be.

So 45 degrees for the wing room too.

Apart from the wing, where I have set the ceiling height to create half height walls, I would like the roof to sit on top of the 1st floor.

I only set the 480mm ceiling as creating low 2nd floor walls, seemed to be the only way to create the roof I want.

I'm hoping that if you can show me how to create the desired roof and perform said trickery, you will then be able to explain how I then create sensible internal ceiling heights on the 2nd floor, or even create cathedral ceilings and internal walls which run up to the underside of the roof....?

Thanks again!

Reset the roof pitch at the roof icon on the toolbar. This would also be a good time to set your overhangs to what they will really be.

You should have the 3d window and 2d plan window vertically tiled, so that you can see what happens.

Open the family room dbx and open the office room dbx, and change the ceiling height to 0.  Watch the roof eave drop.

Uncheck "flat ceiling over this room" in all 3 rooms (temporary).  This removes the ceiling plane from blocking your view of the interior space. :)

Re-post the plan.

You forgot to re-blend  the gable roof with the hip roof.  This needs to be done 1st, and it needs to be as close as you can get it.

NEXT:
As shown in the 2d pic, draw a wall right where the gable wall/hip wall break is.  Move the gable wall slightly outward.  This move now gives you an eave wall that will allow you to alter the pitch on the offending roof plane.   Start playing with the pitch  (your pitch will most likely be different than in the pic, because your temporary wall placement is probably not exactly the same as mine).
Using the rainbow tool to temporarily lighten the roof color, or changing the color of the ridge caps in the build roof icon, will help to better see when your pitch change is perfect.

NEXT:
Open the gable wall to it's roof tab, and start reducing the overhang until it aligns with the hip roof overhang.  Watch in 3d to make sure that the odd roof piece disappears.

Before doing anything else, you should probably add your dormers.  

When the roof no longer needs to be rebuilt for any reason, turn OFF  "auto build roof".

You can now  raise your ceilings to the correct height (remember to recheck "flat ceiling over this room").

Move the gable wall back to it's correct position, and delete the temporary wall.

Be careful to not ever rebuild the roof!

image.thumb.jpeg.681c96f4a9262a500ab2e465f5c935f8.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.d2a7cf65305b6722a7b05330c4289623.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.2d4e3a0199e9496ca67165dab4c52605.jpeg

So the progress is good but each time that I try to move the gable wall back into line, walls appear above the roof. see 171119a

And each time I try to raise the 2nd floor ceiling heights, the wing walls and roof go up to full height see 171119b

'auto build roof' is off and I have been sure to recheck 'flat ceiling over this room', so what am I doing wrong?

I'm hoping that when I have the external structure done I will be able to experiment with internal walls, cathedral style ceilings and half height walls with storage behind where the eaves are low.

Hope you can help?

Sansouci171119b.plan

Sansouci171119a.plan

Sansouci171119.plan