Mid Century Modern Roof design

pacs1963

I'm using Home Designer Suite 2012  (I'm a rookie at this software) and would like to know how to put a butterfly roof on a contemporary style home such as the one in the attached photo.

post-1148-0-89071100-1416514645_thumb.jpg

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you!

Phil

Should be do able using TWO shed Roofs back to back , so the two following   KB Articles should help you in the right direction ,except  you will need too reverse the pitch as the low point is in the middle of the Roof where the ridge normally is.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-01020/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Creating-Multiple-Shed-Roofs.html

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00492/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Building-a-Clerestory-Roof.html

give it a try and post back with Pictures or post the plan so someone can give  you more help.

Mick

The old forum has some information on this "butterfly" style of roof.

http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware.com/showthread.php?16122-Butterfly-Roof-How-to-build-in-Home-Designer-Pro-v8&highlight=butterfly

From the old forum, since I'm not sure how much longer it will be "live."

The only way I could get close with the automatic tools in Architectural was to create two separate structures each defined with their own Shed roofs and then move them in close enough for the roof plane edges to touch, turn off Auto Rebuild Roofs, and then get rid of the extra walls separating in to two structures.

However, with your Pro, it should be relatively easy for you to manually create the roof, rather than use the automatic tools.

post-35-0-08856400-1471360939_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to this thread but I just started using Home designer suite 2017. I am also trying the create a butterfly roof. The problem solvers input from 2014 was not at all helpful. A butterfly roof is not a "shed roof" and I have found no way to create a "shed roof" that slopes downward from both ends with the low point in the center of the structure. I'll try the training videos and other resources but I'm not optimistic that I'll find anything on point.

Ha anybody found a way to build one of these style roofs?

You didn't read either article closely enough.  They both have the answer, and it IS a 'shed' roof...more specifically a 'high shed' roof (and it says so in the knowledge base article).   The trick is to create a skinny room in the center of the structure, and specify 'no roof' over the room.

Like Jo Ann said you create a room in the center for separation, then you gable the side the walls, click the front wall, open it specification box and click

high shed/gable wall.

Use the break wall tool for the center room, and uncheck full gable wall.

• 10 months later...