Trouble building gable roof with porch

ChiefYohan

Hello,

I'm having a difficult time figuring out the proper approach to building the roof I need. The house needs a 6/12 pitch roof and then roof extensions over the front and back porches with posts for supports. I've tried the auto-build roof feature and it produces strange results so I'm trying to make custom roof planes and this is my result. 

The posts don't all behave and recognize the ceiling and the roof framing doesn't seem right and part of the gable wall doesn't generate. Please help.

Plan file here "Home_Addition_209 .plan"

GableWallMissing.jpg

FramingIssues01.jpg

FramingIssues02.jpg

Eric,

Thank you for replying. The settings are my problem and I've tried many different variations but I'm stuck. Any tips for knowing what settings I need to fix? My auto build roof looks nothing like what I need. 

Thank you for the reply Eric,

Been working on manually drawn roof planes and think I have a passable roof now but will definitely try what you recommend. I've seen that roof dialog before but the "Gullwing" roof style example threw me off the way it doesn't extend out to the wall before making the "Wing" bend.

I'll look at all that very closely.

• 2 weeks later...

Help,

Reset to defaults and started from scratch with a simple rectangle that resembles the structure I'm trying to design. I have the end walls set to "Gable Roof" and have tried following the "Gull Wing Roof" dialog without any success. To say that this part of HDP 2020 isn't very intuitive would be an understatement. Could somebody please point me in the right direction here.. The amount of time I have wasted trying to figure this out is becoming a problem. 

- The porches on the front and back of house are different sizes so the peak of the roof ends up being centered over the whole footprint and not the main house structure.

- After trying different combinations of settings I'm unable to get a "Gull wing Roof".

It seems there are certain steps that need to be taken in a certain order to get the proper results? I have yet to discover the secrets of getting this program to behave how I need, I'm seriously pulling my hair out here.

21 hours ago, solver said:

Post your plan with your best effort and I'll take a look.

This roof can be done simply with manual roof planes too. Set the porches to not have a roof, then Auto build. Draw in the porch roofs manually.

Thanks for the reply and help Eric,

After more trial and error I have a clean roof with manual drawn planes over the porch's. Getting a clean auto-built roof to start with helped tremendously, I'll revisit this in the future and try to understand what I was doing wrong with the gull wing roof attempt.