were did my file go ?

Fredo649

I am completing a plan and working to do a FRONT ELEVATION , got it complete and pushed "save as" and saved it into my documents like I think I should and named it front elevation , closed the program to do something else , re-started the program later to bring up the front elevation , pressed open plan file and went to front elevation file opened it and the floor plan popped up but it says front elevation on the saved file . Now I can't find my front elevation plan. :( 

What did I do wrong as I worked 4 hours on this and don't want to start over.

2 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Whatever you named your saved-as .plan file, search for that name using "Windows Search" of My Documents. If you lost it, you lost it but it is most likely there, just now where you thought it was.

DJP

OK I looked under windows search in my documents and found the file that was saved as "FRONT ELEVATION" clicked on it and the floor plan opens not a front elevation. Never happened to me like that before , I hope it isn't a glitch in the program.

11 minutes ago, Fredo649 said:

clicked on it and the floor plan opens not a front elevation

The software does not work as you are thinking.

If you want to maintain a specific camera view, like an elevation or 3D view, you need to save the active camera.

Plans always open in plan view, you then manually open other views using a new or saved camera.

• Upvote 1

A fundamental thing to learn is "File Management": When you save a file, pay attention to exactly what its name is and where exactly on your hard drive it is saved. This is something you do and not the software. 

I recommend that you create an empty folder in "My Documents" called "My Plans" for saving your Home Designer ".plan" files. That is the only way you can count on so you know where your work is and how to find it again.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Related to this, I've started adding dimensions and text to a kitchen design elevation.  I've been using "Save the Active Camera", but it's not clear to me from the videos/ manuals I read so far if this will save all the details that I add to the elevation view, or just save the camera viewpoint.  I will need at least 4 elevations for the room and definitely don't want to have to recreate dimensions and text if I have to close and reopen the plan.

Do the dimensions and text get saved using "Save the Active Camera" or if not is there another way to preserve that?

Scott

Using Home Designer Architectural 2020 for Mac

41 minutes ago, scottrd said:

but it's not clear to me from the videos/ manuals I read so far if this will save all the details that I add to the elevation view, or just save the camera viewpoint.

Saving the camera only saves the camera position and settings. It, along with everything else is saved when you save the plan file.

6 hours ago, scottrd said:

I've been using "Save the Active Camera", but it's not clear to me from the videos/ manuals I read so far if this will save all the details that I add to the elevation view, or just save the camera viewpoint.

This is the type of question that is easy to answer for yourself.

Simply create a plan, and try it.