ANSI D Drawing Sheet Set-up

RScottG

When I create a new Drawing Sheet set to 22"x34" and want to print to PDF, I get a message back that says that "Selected Paper size is not supported, change to less than 18"x24."  Is the assumption that HDP doesn't allow a user to save a PDF at any size??  Help please as this is wholly frustrating.....

Thanks.

With Pro, the largest sheet it can save in a layout is 18"x24". What I do in that case if the plan is too big for 18x24 paper is send it to layout on 11x17 paper in 1/8" scale. Yet I will have my title block say "1/4"=1'-0" as the scale. You can put a border around the edges with the rectangular polyline tool to draw the line. When I send it to be printed, I have them double the print size and have it printed on 24x36 paper. DO NOT let them "fit to page" or it will mess up the scaling. This way you have a 22 x 34 correctly scaled drawing on 24x36 paper.

The reference manual is a good place to look for answers to some of your questions too.

Thanks, Rookie65.  That's a reasonable "work-around" and one that I've used in other products.  But the fact that I need a work-around for such an obvious need is very frustrating.  They say that HDP can produce construction drawings....well, those are often at sizes greater than 18"x24"....so, in-fact, they are misrepresenting their product.  That restriction doesn't exist in Chief Architect Premier....almost worth asking for my money back.....sorry for the vent, but that in addition to saving level sets and controlling level displays is so basic to a good product that it should not be left out.

If you want to have all the bells and whistles that apparently you are used to, then Premier may be your answer. I would not agree that they are misrepresenting the product at all.

I have been using HD Pro for my design business since 2013. With over 300 projects drawn and construction documents for them generated from the program, I have never had an issue with paper size once I asked about this situation and got the solution I posted.

Not entirely sure what the trouble is you mean you are having with the level sets. For what it's worth, I created a "master" plan that I use to originate each project from. It has the defaults I like to use for dimensions, wall types, text, etc. so I don't have to set them all up each time i need to draw something. Then I change what I need for each particular job and "save as" the name I want to give it. That way my original is always there.

Thanks, Rookie65....appreciate your thoughts and time.

I have no doubt that your work around for the paper size works....and trust me, I have done that sort of thing since 1987 as CAD was emerging.....my point is simply that you shouldn't have to do that as it contributes risk to potential errors outside of the design environment.  I've since seen where they disclaim the paper size on their website....buyer beware.

The level sets and display appears to be well managed in Cheif Architect Premier.  They could have provided a rudimentary "layer" and "level" control scenario in HDP that would at least provide some functionality....doing the work-around via file management is extraordinarily cumbersome....and yes, new user here so I may not have found the answer....wasn't in the reference manual, videos or forum.

I used to work for one of the larger design software companies who had an approach that the production capabilities needed to exist at all levels (i.e., printing, plotting and drawing management) and that it was varying degrees of design capabilities that would drive a user to higher level product....what sense does it make to slow anyone down on printing, plotting and drawing management?

Thanks again....probably venting more than I should.....

• 4 years later...

It's indeed frustrating when software limitations interfere with our work. One thing that might be helpful is understanding the different paper sizes and their dimensions. For instance, ANSI D is 22 x 34 inches. Having a clear understanding of these sizes can sometimes help in troubleshooting these types of issues.