Custom Roof?

Thomas

I'm trying to create a roof the replicates the one I've created in Google SketchUp, but I'm not succeeding too well.

Here is my progress so far, (click image to enlarge)

09aea55aa63d6ba98edde0257f703bea0c8429dd

Here is the roof I created previously, that I am now trying to create,

09aea55aa6059ef90dfbbf5e51c360d07e7b861d

09aea55aa603da1695d54a2a0653bc0d9ea79f27

I created it pretty well last night, using the Pro version demo. I purchased Suit so I could save what I had created, only to findout you cannot save via the demo since it's Pro.

Therefore, I started to create the house once again this morning on Suit, finding out that the controls are very limited compaird to Pro.

Now I'm seeing that you cannot create a custom roof on Suit as well, pretty frustrating..

Any help would be great, thank you!

Best reguards,

How to achieve various specific outcomes using programs other than Pro or Chief one carefully studies the data found in the "Build Roof" Dialog - "Roof Styles" tab where how to set up for each roof style is explained. Generally speaking, all Chief Architect Inc software does what it does based upon either factory default settings or those settings that the end user sets to guide the software to wanted results. When you know where those settings are, what they are for and what they then do, you have the software mastered where it then becomes a tool, to do otherwise (guessing, trial and error or being "intuitive") just takes too long when all the answers are already resident in the Help Files, Reference Manual and in help videos. It just costs some of yout time and attention followed by practice of what was studied.

DJP

How to achieve various specific outcomes using programs other than Pro or Chief one carefully studies the data found in the "Build Roof" Dialog - "Roof Styles" tab where how to set up for each roof style is explained. Generally speaking, all Chief Architect Inc software does what it does based upon either factory default settings or those settings that the end user sets to guide the software to wanted results. When you know where those settings are, what they are for and what they then do, you have the software mastered where it then becomes a tool, to do otherwise (guessing, trial and error or being "intuitive") just takes too long when all the answers are already resident in the Help Files, Reference Manual and in help videos. It just costs some of yout time and attention followed by practice of what was studied.

DJP

As your forum account states, you're a Chief Architect Teacher & you've created a guide called 'Basic Manual Roof Editing', therefor you should know how to accomplish what I'm looking to do.

Unfortunately, your post above didn't help me the slightest, but since you've said that all versions usually allow you to have the same result- I ask you, how can I create these roofs?

I did this quickie house just to show you that you can do this with suite.

There are way too many settings involved to tell you exactly how to do this, and I think that is why David advised you to study the help files.

Dimensions, room type, floor and ceiling heights, roof setting AND pitch on each wall (wall/roof tab), floor 1, floor 2, and level 0 settings are all needed to be known, for anyone to give you specific answers.

My example was fairly easy to do, but... it was all guessing based on your picture.

post-63-0-05938200-1416348588_thumb.jpg

Roof would be easy in PRO, not sure about Suite.

I see two things that may give you problems -- both on the blue part of the structure. It has a different overhang on at least one side, and a gable form with a different pitch on each side.

The other parts just need the roof pitch changed.

I believe you may adjust the roof pitch in the Wall Specification dialog for the wall that the roof sits on.

You may also be able to set the overhang there.

Have a look at http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/category/3/0/10/Home-Designer/

Lots of good info there.

I did this quickie house just to show you that you can do this with suite.

There are way too many settings involved to tell you exactly how to do this, and I think that is why David advised you to study the help files.

Dimensions, room type, floor and ceiling heights, roof setting AND pitch on each wall (wall/roof tab), floor 1, floor 2, and level 0 settings are all needed to be known, for anyone to give you specific answers.

My example was fairly easy to do, but... it was all guessing based on your picture.

This is very good, Jo Ann!

Like you said 'Dimensions, room type, floor and ceiling heights, roof setting etc..' all take into factor for creating the roof like you've done. Is there anyway you could post the specifications of those items and post those as well?

Or, if you could possibly upload the .plan that you created.

If not, no worries.

Here's the exact dimensions of my plan, http://i.imgur.com/1GKTFX3.jpg

If that helps.

Thank you!

I ask you, how can I create these roofs?

I answered your question already. If you choose to ignore its answer, well that is a personal choice for you to make.

If you are unwilling to look, study and practice, then you do not deserve any further help from any one. Though others can do as they will.

DJP

• Downvote 2

They would be able to open your plan in Pro Trial Jo_Ann ,see what you did and transfer that knowledge to Suite.

I'm pretty sure you used invisible walls in there for the overhangs  eg on the back, which wouldn't be obvious unless you know that "workaround" for the non-Pro versions.

I'd like to check out the plan too actually, if you don't mind posting it ...

Mick.