Double Gable

rjbauman

I am building a garage with an art studio attached. I would like to have a double gable look with a gable above the garage and a smaller gable above the art studio - both gables facing the same direction. In Suite I was able to accomplish this by creating two separate structures and then removing a temporary exterior wall between the structures. Is there a more direct way of accomplishing this while also providing control over the valley between the gables?

1 hour ago, rjbauman said:

Is there a more direct way of accomplishing this while also providing control over the valley between the gables?

Without seeing exactly what you need and want, it is anyone's guess. Post a copy of your plan file and perhaps a simple sketch of the double gables, then maybe.

DJP

Thanks for your detailed response David.

The image I sent has the roof line I desire. I am just looking for a direct way to implement this. My first attempts at this resulted in the roof line in your drawing which I am trying to avoid.

I just upgraded to the Architectural version for the Gable /Roof Line tool hoping that I would be able to easily create the double gable. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

5 hours ago, rjbauman said:

The image I sent has the roof line I desire.

I obviously misunderstood your desire (I thought that is what you were getting and not what you wanted).

I now think that you should not pursue what you want because it is a bad design that ensures future roof leaking between the two gables (that is called in Architecture: "A dead Valley", the space between gable peaks.

In order to do that kind of design properly, you will have to upgrade to Home Designer Pro that provides the manual roof tools (not just settings and auto-roof building), so a roof saddle or cricket can be constructed, manually between the gable ridges and thus eliminate the dead valley with a roof saddle or cricket.

DJP