Porch Ceiling But No Roof

2206Keith

My porches have ceilings but no roofs . . . . bummer.

After adding porches, I opened the Room Specifications and checked "Roof Over This Room" and "Ceiling Over This Room" but the result is only ceilings.  Multiple times, during my failed attempts to correct, I've selected "Auto Rebuild Roofs" in the Build Roof tool but I'm still roofless.  Reviewing the online training hasn't led me to root of the problem I've created so I anxiously await your sage insights.

Thanks,

Keith

Home Designer Pro 2015

In all titles and versions of Home Designer software the name "Deck" includes by default, no ceiling and no roof, so if you named the porch space "Deck" it will not have a ceiling or roof until those programming commands are removed in that space's room specification dialog - structure tab.

The second reason you might not be getting a roof to form is when the walls are not fully connected so they form a closed space and thus a room specification dialog just for that space (unclosed spaces will not be roofed over by default, make sure the space is fully closed and properly programmed by you and you will then get a roof to form when ordered to do so).

DJP

Kat is precisely correct (I missed that one because I NEVER use that tool, found in the Build Roof Dialog as a check box). I never bothered to use that tool and so often overlook it as a "cause" for roof problems. 

There is nothing "wrong" with that tool (Roof Baseline Poly-Lines) except hardly anyone bothers to study what it is exactly for or how to properly use it and being used anyway without study then just causes "Mysterious" unwanted results. There are enough tools and settings that exist in this software that if used without study, just make things worse.

You should always know what you are doing and why no matter what area of one's Life we are talking about. It is a way to happiness (knowledge).

DJP