My exported my plan view in 24" x 36" layout Not Working as Expected

mgianzero

Sorry, but after searching the forum, I found a post named "Layout Template" was seemed to fit my question but I really didn't follow what's been discussed there.  So I hope I'm not confusing things by starting new post on a similar subject.

I have a floor plan that I want printed to a ARCH D (24" x 36") blueprint sheet using a scale of 1/4" to 1ft.  But the default layout file seems to place my layout framing border (not sure that's the term for it) at something much smaller than needed in a 24" x 36" sheet size. 

I did the following mostly based on what I learned in HDP video tutorial labeled "Layouts". 

1)  I opened my plan view that I wish to export to layout.

2)  Then, under "File->Print->Custom Sheet Sizes" I created one of size ARCH D (24" x 36") - this was not included in the tutorial.

3)  I select "File->New plan layout" and it creates a blank layout.  Then I save the layout file with same name as plan (with layout extension) in the same directory.

This step is where I think I'm doing something wrong as the the border displayed around the layout seems to be too small for my plan view - leaves larger than desired margins so it doesn't really fill a 24" x 36" sheet of paper enough.

3)  I then select "File->Print->Drawing Sheet Setup" and select "ARCH D (24" x 36") as my new drawing sheet (drawing scale is 1" = 1").

This makes my sheet the size I want, but the layout border appears to be too small now.  I guess I can resize it by dragging the handles, but these is a tedious process.

4)  Then I select my plan view tab again and choose "File->Send to layout" with scaling at 1/4" to 1ft.

This is where it really doesn't look right in my layout.  The plan view seems to fill the expected size with that scale, but the layout boarder is too small for my larger size paper.

(see attachment for example)

What am I doing wrong?

Marc

Remodel4_USHD (powder bath 4).jpg

No Home Designer software has the capability to print directly to 24" x 36" paper. The largest actual paper HD PRO prints to is 18" x 24" paper, so in order to print to 24" x 36" at a scale of 1/4" requires some additional steps.

You set up your layout file for a paper size of Arch B or 12" x 18" paper.

You send your views at a scale of 1/8" = 1'.

you annotate such views as being 1/4" = 1' scale using Text.

You then print your Layout file to a PDF, properly scaled for 12" x 18" paper.

You then take your 12" x 18" PDF to a print shop or blueprint service.

They print it to 12" x 18" using their printer.

They then take that 12" x 18" piece of paper and scan it using their large format scanners.

They take the digital result and blow that up 200% and reprint the results on the target size of 24" x 36".

The end result will scale 1/4" = 1' scale when done correctly.

The only way to avoid the above is to upgrade to Chief Architect Premier which is capable of printing to any size paper up to a Billboard.

DJP

Wow - so there's really just a workaround to do this and I wasn't missing anything in particular.  This approach also makes it not only convenient, but costly since I have to pay for two oversized prints at my local Kinkos. 

That's a bit depressing, especially since I just upgraded to HDP 2020 a few weeks ago.

I'm not really a designer or architect, but I'm making some great progress with just using HDP and some ingenuity.  But just can't justify the upgrade to Chief Architect Premier when I only use this program on occasion for a few simple jobs.  

Thanks for the help.

With Pro, the largest sheet it can save in a layout is 18"x24". What I do in that case if the plan is too big for 18x24 paper is send it to layout on 11x17 paper in 1/8" scale. Yet I will have my title block say "1/4"=1'-0" as the scale. You can put a border around the edges with the rectangular polyline tool to draw the line. When I send it to be printed, I have them double the print size and have it printed on 24x36 paper. DO NOT let them "fit to page" or it will mess up the scaling. This way you have a 22 x 34 correctly scaled drawing on 24x36 paper. This way there's no double printing to get what you want. Hope this helps?

5 hours ago, Rookie65 said:

With Pro, the largest sheet it can save in a layout is 18"x24". What I do in that case if the plan is too big for 18x24 paper is send it to layout on 11x17 paper in 1/8" scale. Yet I will have my title block say "1/4"=1'-0" as the scale. You can put a border around the edges with the rectangular polyline tool to draw the line. When I send it to be printed, I have them double the print size and have it printed on 24x36 paper. DO NOT let them "fit to page" or it will mess up the scaling. This way you have a 22 x 34 correctly scaled drawing on 24x36 paper. This way there's no double printing to get what you want. Hope this helps?

Actually this might work the best since I'd avoid having to scan an oversized piece of paper at the printers.  That can get time consuming and expensive if I've got a few different set of plans to work with, and future plans in the works for other projects down the road.

Marc

Sure thing. Plus you can probably just send them the PDF online and pick it up when it's ready. Then there is no "middle sheet" to possibly distort dimensions for someone in the field needing to measure, etc. Good luck!

Also, what I feel is a silly question ... Now that I've got my 18" x 24" layout setup, ready to print, why can't I seem to be able to edit the "DATE" and "SCALE" boxes to enter the appropriate date and scale?

• 7 months later...
19 minutes ago, PaulNDebbie said:

wont the scale now be doubled on everything so the 1/8" = 1' actually now be 1/4" = 2'? 

No. Just think the process through.

You are just doubling the drawing size, not changing the scale. Printing at 1/2 size (the 1/8") is just a trick to get around the limits of the software.