Software Process Flow

bgambina

I spent some time looking around the website and tutorials, and didn't see a process or flow of how to use the software (i.e. what to build first, second, third, etc ).  Is there a quantified process or flow for the software or do you just go at it ?

Thanks

I've found it best to put a LOT of focus on setting up the defaults, standard window and door sizes, materials, roof pitches, wall materials, all of it, it will save lots of time later. Much of it probably depends on what you are trying to build. I've worked mostly on modeling from a floor plan or existing homes. I find it most effective to do everything I possibly can before turning off auto-build features and I concentrate on getting the first floor as perfect and complete as possible. Once the first floor is spot on, I'll build the basement/foundation, then insert upper floors. I also recommend using the space planner to jump start, but still make sure you set up you defaults first. 

I've never seen a posted "road map" on best use, but wish the did one. I find it common for companies to go right past the context and dive into the details. The software does have a lot of power though and it's easy to find yourself going down a rabbit hole. The video tutorials are my go-to first stop for help.

I guess that's not a great answer, but if you build a couple of simple plans you'll quickly figure out what feels best for you. 

• Upvote 1

It is also difficult to change your measuring units (Imperial and Metric) after one has started, the same is true about changing your template plan after you have started using a particular template. You should make sure of those things BEFORE creating much content in a .plan file. As Allen said, above setting Edit -Default Settings is essential. Then you establish the first floor, then the second (if one is intended) then the foundation (Foundations are purely conceptual in that the only persons licensed and trained to design them are State Licensed Structural Engineers, so a lot of attention to detail is unnecessary relative to the foundation until your Engineer can review your plan and then carefully design a foundation for it).

DJP