Create an angled railing

Je_Roy

I am using HD-Arch 2016, and want to create a railing on top of a retaining wall that is angled. I can achieve a railing level with the floor as shown, that builds into the retaining wall. I tried building the railing with a staircase instead and encountered two problems: I couldn't find an option to make the staircase (excluding desired railing) invisible, and I couldn't create the staircase all the way to the edge of the deck without it starting at the terrain level instead of the deck level (so there was an undesired gap in the railing).

TYIA :)

image.thumb.png.7cf9bf17e84f63d6ed58ae933cdbf3d7.png

In order to accomplish that in what you have, the railing in question will have to be manually, custom constructed a piece at a time using soffits (cabinet tools) to form the balusters, newels and slanted rails. It should be doable in Architectural or Pro but forget it if you are in any kind of a hurry. It must be done methodically and carefully to be done at all.

DJP

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Je_Roy said:

Can you explain how this would be easier in Cheif Architect?

I rarely have had to do this in and with my use of Chief Architect Premier. In a Railing Specification Dialog box in Premier, there are settings to "Follow Terrain", "Follow Stairs" and so forth which of course makes that whole job easier.

DJP

I don't think Home Designer or Chief will create the railing using their automated tools.

You could with some work, manually create it in Chief.

One big advantage of Chief is its various tools you can use to create things from scratch.

I just did this curved coffered ceiling in Chief. A bit tedious, but not difficult. You would need a 2nd program like SketchUp to replicate this in Home Designer.

ct1.thumb.png.44cde3957bd40b97ae9049c663f08ab5.png