Snap Feature

CoachRob14

Hello All,

I purchased Home Designer Suite 2019 as a Hobby about 2 weeks ago.  I've experienced the normal highs and lows of the program-   from not knowing how to draw an exterior wall, to finally learning how to place a corner cabinet- etc.

I am impressed with the number of and extensive online tutorials-  however, it seems that every time I try and seek out a tutorial-  the tutorial is given in an upgraded, "professional" or "architecture" version of the software that either has a different setup, or have features that I do not have access to in Home Designer Suite.

I have tons of questions-  but this question pertains to the snap feature.  DOES THIS FEATURE EXIST IN 2019 SUITE?  I see the option for it under "Edit", and I have it activated-  I can not seem to snap stairs to where I want, snap stairs on a deck to create a wrap around staircase to a wrap around deck, etc.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

Rob

17 minutes ago, CoachRob14 said:

but this question pertains to the snap feature.  DOES THIS FEATURE EXIST IN 2019 SUITE?  I see the option for it under "Edit", and I have it activated

I think you answered your own question.

19 minutes ago, CoachRob14 said:

I can not seem to snap stairs to where I want, snap stairs on a deck to create a wrap around staircase to a wrap around deck, etc.

Do you have Grid Snaps on? Try turning them off if on.

You can move objects, including a stair manually.

Are you also asking how to create a wrap around stair?

7 minutes ago, solver said:

I see you said Home Designer Suite 2019, but you can help everyone by adding this info to your signature (see below for how to turn them on, then see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Doing so makes it always available, and keeps others from having to hunt for it.

And, turn on signature display too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

----

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Thank you for the reply.  I tried turning on my signature-  not quite sure what that does at this point...

I am currently watching a tutorial (have been for the past 6 hours to be honest) titled "Focus- Creating a Split Level Home".  I have been going back and forth, trying to copy and replicate what is being done in the tutorial.  Of course, the tutorial is being given in Chief Architect Premier X7, and again I am using Suite 2019.  

At about 20 Minutes into the video, a deck is being added.  The deck itself is easy (drawn just like an exterior wall), and now I am adding stairs leading up to the deck (as it is raised).  I am going to try and attach 2 pictures-  one of them of what it is supposed to look like (one smooth wrap around), versus what mine currently look like (2 separate stair cases that do not connect at the corner of the deck).  

Deck 1.PNG

Deck 2.PNG

4 minutes ago, CoachRob14 said:

the tutorial is being given in Chief Architect Premier X7, and again I am using Suite 2019.  

Suite is very limited in its features, and many videos will show things not available in Suite, especially the Chief Architect videos.

This is Suite 2016, so I'm sure it works in 2019.

ht1.thumb.png.2df954f1c8a87d3a60f90230c51d32d7.png

You might also check with Home Designer sales about an upgrade to 2020. I imagine it will be free since you just purchased 2019.

I would assume it works as well.  When the person giving the tutorial drew the second staircase, it "snapped" to the first one, creating the smooth transition.  Since i can not seem to snap anything to anything, I am unable to make this transition.  I will continue to try and work out the snap issue.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond to a newbie-  I know I am in way over my head with this program, but enjoying it nonetheless.

Forgive me Eric

You've been more than kind.  I literally had to just go and search "how to post  your plan file"-  and the directions it is giving me, I don't even have these options.  It is telling me to "lock certain values" so other uses can only edit so much, or use "default settings" (which I do not have access to the settings the tutorial is showing me).

Just growing more frustrated because I can not seem to do any of the things you are asking me to do.

You are working on a plan. The program saves your plan in a file with a .plan extension.

Something like myhouse.plan

That's the file you need to attach. It works just like attaching the images and video you did above.

You have 3 sets of stairs on one side -- the program is confused.

I pulled 2 of them out a bit so they would show when colored.

ht1.thumb.png.5ed3c0efdb0c3f2fcce588a63ff0984b.png

You can see extra lines here, and when you drag the edge of one back, it reveals the one below.

ht3.thumb.png.8e415c8b22920f64013afe58a625c3c0.pnght2.png

I don't know how anyone uses Suite -- it's so limited. I see that it lacks snap indicators. With Pro, and maybe Architectural, and all or the Chief Architect products, you get visual feedback. As an example, this shows I'm about to draw a stair off of a deck edge. The little red triangle tells me I am at the center of the wall, and snapped to the main wall layer. 

ht4.png

I would redraw your steps trying to start on the line.

Yes,

I at least feel a bit better that you acknowledge the snap feature is limited or at times non-existent on Suite-  I know Im not very good at the program, but was feeling frustrated that I was missing something and doing something wrong.  

I will keep plugging away here.  The past week or so I've really only focused on interior-   today was the first day I tried anything exterior and it obviously kicked my ass.  I can't imagine trying to understand and get into Terrain modifications, etc.  

The other thing I have not figured out, is how to get catalogs into my library-  a week ago I went ahead and downloaded all of these catalogs marked "free", but I can't seem to locate them or access them.  Maybe it is another SUITE limitation?