Home Designer 2020

Fredo649

The "Physically Based Rendering" (PBR) is amazing -- it's like having a totally different program. There's now a point to adding lights with tuned light data etc. Attached are some renders of an in-progress plan. I included an old-style "Standard" render for comparison.

Best $99 I ever spent.

MainRoom.jpgMainRoomOld.jpg

RecRoom.jpgBath.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just to be more accurate, it's not "Ray Tracing" (which is also a feature in CA), but "PBR" (Physically based Rendering). PBR is near-real time (or real time if you have a really good graphics card) and can be live while you move around your plan. Ray Tracing can take hours for a single image. PBR seems to be a better option in most cases, with Ray Tracing probably being a good option for final-final renders for architects etc. - If i had to choose between having one or the other i'd choose PBR. I personally like the look of PBR even more than Ray Tracing in many cases.

In full disclosure, i'm a novice at using both techniques, so maybe in the hands of an expert Ray Tracing can outshine PBR. But here are comparative screenshots of what my novice abilities were able to do with each technique:

CA-RayTracing.thumb.png.6a197cc3853edcf0006976e30941d632.png

Chief Architect Interiors X11 (Trial) Ray Tracing Screenshot

After 43 hours of processing. I accidentally left it running since friday, and it doesn't look much different than after the first couple of hours)

HDP-PBR.thumb.png.af9f31dfe95fac7e7ca9c533502ea6eb.png

Home Designer Pro 2020 Physically Based Screenshot

This took seconds to render.

I put zero thought and planning into either of these (other than setting up the light data for my recessed lights), and PBR did an amazing job.

In case anyone's interested, I documented the various default settings I changed to achieve my results above, and also included a test plan so people can rule out their graphics card if they're not getting the expected results. Please see this post:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5020-physics-based-rendering-what-am-i-doing-wrong/?do=findComment&comment=26552

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, xJonQx said:

The "Physically Based Rendering" (PBR) is amazing -- it's like having a totally different program. There's now a point to adding lights with tuned light data etc. Attached are some renders of an in-progress plan. I included an old-style "Standard" render for comparison.

Best $99 I ever spent.

MainRoom.jpgMainRoomOld.jpg

RecRoom.jpgBath.jpg

I was on the fence or fences between Home Designer Suite/Architectural or a freeware home design tool.  After trying out the freeware tooI was back to choosing between just the two HD programs, Suite or Architectural.  I am only a DIYer but the freeware tool was just a faf, and it lacked a lot of the features I had come to take for granted with HD Suite.

Having seen these results, and the test example shown here:

it is decided.  Architectural it is.  So glad to have this feature in the 2020 version.  This is good enough for me.

Thanks xJonQx, much appreciated.