one and half story railings

SandraH

I'm working on a bonus room over a garage where there is no height to the half story.  I remove the ceiling, keep the roof, but when I add railings around the staircase they only show as a few inches tall.  Checking the spec box, the balusters are 36", but they aren't in 3d. Tried putting in a half wall but same problem.  Can't raise the floor height since the bonus room is only over the garage and the house is a bungalow, so the roof needs to be the same height as the rest of the house.  I'm just creating a room in what is essentially the attic space over the garage.

I'm using Home Designer Architectural 2019.  Not a huge deal, but I used to get the right height in the 2005 version!

Any solutions? 

I can't raise the ceiling since this is the only "upstairs" room. The house is a bungalow with living space over the garage only so I'm using standard trusses over the rest of the house and attic trusses with some hand framing for the dormers over the garage. But I don't want 2 different roof heights so the ceiling height has to stay at 0 to match the rest of the house. 

Unless there's some other way to raise the ceiling without raising the roof