Shed roof (not dormer) on one section of second floor

nhhandyman

Using Home Designer Suite 2019 - 

I did a quick check of the differences between the pro and suite and I don't think my issue is lack of functionality in the Suite version.... but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

I have looked through multiple q/a and tutorials on shed roofs and shed roof dormers.  The house has a standard 12/12 pitch roof with several shed dormers off the front.  There is only a second floor on the right section of the house with a 'normal' shed dormer on the front and a shed roof on the back that extends over the bump out (4') - so its not really a dormer since its exterior wall is in line with the first floor.   Areas that do not have the second floor have a cathedral ceiling (with a shed dormer).

The attached plan file was one of my attempts to add the roof as a shed - it didn't work. 

I tried adding a second floor exterior wall but that didn't change the auto roof line.

Do I need to define rooms on the second floor for the software to consider the walls as full height and not flatten them?

Thanks for any help.

20190313_081804.jpg

20190311_192151.jpg

camp1.plan

I tried putting an exterior wall that covered the base - but the roof that was automatically created was a hip style roof.  I created an interior wall to close off that section but the roof remained the same.

I also tried creating an interior wall (gable sides, shed) with no luck.

I did not however define a room.

And the dormer tool would not initially allow me to place a dormer in that area.  I had to change the alcove settings in the roof dialog to 5' to get the auto dormer tool to allow it to be placed there.

When I did that, I had to move back the walls I had defined - it also created its own walls (not using the existing walls).

ht1.thumb.png.e9f6643282251bb5de210dbb56204857.png

This is what I see when looking at the plan. 

It helps to post an image like this and identify the problems. You can use the Windows Snipping tool to capture part of the screen, circle areas, probably even add text.

Looking at the elevations posted, is this the change you want to make?

ht2.thumb.png.83398a63c4f656705b8696c70fed57bc.png

Also, as Jo Ann said, you have no rooms defined on the 2nd floor. If there is living space there and you will have stairs, you will need to have a room. 

Some of the walls may have No Room Definition checked, so you will need to check for that.

Several walls were set to no room - I've fixed that.  

Solver:  I do not see what you uploaded.  I've attached what I see.

The main roof line should not increase in height and the sides of the dormer should be on the same plane as the first floor exterior walls.

You've given me a few more things to experiment with.

p1.PNG

Thanks.  Very close now - the small 1'10" area has a roof return but I'll live with that.

The big piece that I think held things back was that there was no room defined.  I created the second floor manually (because of the cathedral ceiling on the rest of the first floor) which I suspect caused the walls to be set to not define a room.

I removed the other dormers to focus on this.

This is NOT a dormer roof - manually created

sides are exterior - full gable 

end wall is exterior - hip with a 3/12 pitch

Thanks

I

p2.PNG

p3.PNG

• 1 month later...

I'm finally getting back to this.

I can't get the roofline on the 'outside-1' to line up.  It thinks there are several roofs needed.....  I've tried several wall combinations.

Also, on the front of the house - the shed roofs are supposed to be identical - but the one on the right side can't be moved without the software complaining that it can't complete the roof.

thanks

outside-1.PNG

outside-front.PNG

wrong-roof-lines.plan