Need a custom island with a granite countertop

dgolfnut

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I'm using HD suite 2015.  I need to put a custom shaped island in my kitchen.  None of the grouped islands will work.

I would describe it as a 24" base cabinet with an adjacent 36" base cabinet with a sink in the center.  The second cabinet is  at a 45 degree angle to the first.   Then there is another 24" base cabinet at a 45 degree angle to the second cabinet.  This entire structure is covered with a granite counter top with a 12" overhang in the back and sides and about 2" in the front.  Bar stools would be facing the back sides of the cabinets and the spaces between the cabinets opposite where they are joined at the front would be covered with the same type of wood as the back of the cabinets.   To help envision this, if the whole structure was in a corner instead of being a kitchen island,  the sides would touch the walls and there would be a triangular gap between the counter and the walls where the sink is.

Is there a way to create such an island group and counter that would show on my plan in 3d view?

Are you looking to create an island that looks like this ?

post-519-0-78166600-1415462612_thumb.jpgpost-519-0-01904200-1415462615_thumb.jpgpost-519-0-97424700-1415462616_thumb.jpg

This is fairly straight forward in Pro with the custom countertop tool. In Suite you may need to play around with (overlapping) "Shelves" to simulate the countertop and "Partitions" to fill the holes in the back of the cabinets.

GeertDC -

That's almost exactly what I'm looking for but I don't have a clue what you're saying about overlapping shelves and using soffits?    This is my first project with the program.  Would you create a slab on top of the cabinet bases? 

• Solution

If you have the slab tool available, then you can use it to create the countertop. 

Use a soffit to cover the back of the cabinets to provide a finished look.

You can also make the top from soffits. I made this one thick and red so you could see it. Just needs to be droped down on top of the cabinets.

The other image shows how the 3 soffits I used overlap.

With PRO, I can also add a molding profile to the edge.

After arranging your cabinets, place a soffit (listed in the cabinet icon).  Change it's specs to what is shown, and slide it up against the cabinet.  If the directional triangles (shows when selected) of the soffits are all on the same side showing on each soffit, then the software will auto fill in the empty spaces to join the soffits (the same thing should have occurred with the open gaps on the backs of the cabinets).  No need to overlap or add any 'fillers' or partitions.  Then change the soffits to the countertop material that you want.

Also, if you hold down the keyboard Ctrl key and select EACH object  (3 cabinets, 3 soffits),  you can move the entire unit (as if it were one piece) to re-position it if necessary.

post-63-0-74492500-1415496690_thumb.jpg