Has anyone here experimented with different versions of Home Designer?

Chiefpdb

I have stated that Home Designer Pro was the best choice for me. I still believe that, owing to the rich set of design features of said program, but I did not know the differences between Pro and the other versions, so I have tried the versions below it to determine what they were. I have examined Essentials, Home Suite and Professional, with the intent of uncovering the differences between them. Granted, the comparison sheet between them is very coprehensive, but I needed to know what the stripped down versions of Home Designer had and what they were lacking firsthand, by looking at what was on offer and what was missing.

Who else here has tested multiple versions of Home Designer? I ask because I would be interested to hear the opinions of people who have seen how the various versions compare and contrast with each other. I like Pro, but since I have conducted my trial runs, starting with Essentials and Suite and have purchased both, so that I may have time to study both programs during my rather busy routine. I feel like I need to get to know Home Designer starting from its roots, and then working my way upwards through Suite, to Architectural and then finally, settling down with Pro. 

Is this an enlightened approach? 

Frankly I think you could do better things with your time, especially if you have a "busy" routine. To me it would become very frustrating turning the clock back from what I have to something that isn't even close. Especially knowing what you do now about Pro. When I started my business up again in 2013, I bought Architectural. After about a week I realized it wouldn't do what I needed with its limitations, so I upgraded to Pro and haven't looked back.

I started with Chief Architect Premier Version #4 in 1995. I have the current versions of Home Designer because I use them to help those that use the software. Chief Architect Premier is the big brother to all of their line of software, Home Designer software is for amateurs and hobbyists. It fills that role well, especially for the price.

DJP

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Frankly I think you could do better things with your time, especially if you have a "busy" routine. To me it would become very frustrating turning the clock back from what I have to something that isn't even close. Especially knowing what you do now about Pro. When I started my business up again in 2013, I bought Architectural. After about a week I realized it wouldn't do what I needed with its limitations, so I upgraded to Pro and haven't looked back.

I plan to write about my experiences of using different versions of Home Designer, so, I need to a considerable amount of time to fully understand every aspect of it. The respective versions will teach me what I need to know. I want to come away with the knowledge of what each one is like, with or without certain features, like Essentials lacking a 3D full camera and having far less materials in its Home Designer catalogue. I feel that on hands experience is the best instructor for me.

Busy is what I always am, I was just making a passing remark about it. I make a lot of effort to do everything. If anything, Home Designer is helping me better my outlook on architecture in ways I have not previously known.

Chiefpdb, then good luck on your research and writing. I'm sure you'll be enlightened at the end.

DJP, not everyone that uses the Home Designer software is an amateur or hobbyist. Though I do think that any version other than Pro will limit the details that one often needs to generate a set of buildable plans.

• Like 1