Help fixing gabled roof

markdpatton

I am having problems getting roof lines to work the way I want them to.  Here are several pictures:

Here is the perspective full overview before I build the roof. 

903262808_WithoutRoof.thumb.jpg.764dbd89bf091e35e09084d73c7e60cd.jpg

Here is the second floor plan before I build the roof.

356679366_Secondfloorplanview(withoutroof).thumb.jpg.804ea5d8f68734e2dc63ca3979f22456.jpg

As far as I can tell, I have appropriately characterized all of the walls to build the roof the way I want to build it.  But when I build the roof, this is what I get.

1585551976_Withroof(frontview).thumb.jpg.2477a51d02bc53a42026e50d9357dbc3.jpg

Here is the second floor plan after I build the roof.  Note that the program has added additional walls on the second floor as part of the roof building process.

777698234_Secondfloorplanview(afterbuildingroof).thumb.jpg.9e7e0525e802c08e1c18274103dc81e2.jpg

I want a gable end on the right side.  I want the middle section of the roof to be a 3" rise over the porch and an 8" rise over the house.  In the next picture, I have added a red line showing the general concept for what I want the gable end to look like. 

2105237543_Withroof(frontview).thumb.jpg.5a63d7ab9afc927d075c477b4ea3a114.jpg

From the left side of the house, I want a gable end on the second floor at the front of the house.  I have drawn a red line where I would like that gable end.  

641392784_Withroof(leftside).thumb.jpg.39ab2ead4677224111f6ec4615ba8151.jpg

And here is the view from the right side with the lines drawn in.  

370023977_Withroof(rightside).thumb.jpg.63d6d506fd5f103d18696d85e2cb685f.jpg

Here is some additional information that may help diagnose the problem.  If I change the gable wall on the right side of the house from a gable wall to a hip wall with an 8" rise, it produces all of the other roofs correctly (except that I am not getting the gable end on the right side, which I obviously would not expect it to do because I changed it to a hip wall).  But this does correctly produce what I want for the middle section of the roof above the front door and the gabled end on the second story of the left side of the house.

From the front:

754973325_Withhipwallonright(frontview).thumb.jpg.3e8fdef2579cacc7df5f742cd2778719.jpg

From the left:

1686373865_Withhipwallonright(leftview).thumb.jpg.961900d8500960297065739fa8bb644b.jpg

From the right:

2055192513_Withhipwallonright(rightview).thumb.jpg.b3bb0dd9e144f4858d9fd577f4e4103d.jpg

I am thinking the issue has something to do with the fact that the system is adding walls on the second floor when it builds the roof, but I don't know.

I would be very grateful if someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong.  Or you can just fix the file if that is easier.  I just want it fixed because I'm about to pull my hair out trying to make it work.

Thanks for your help.

Farmhouse plan v3 (with gable end).plan

Take a look at this roof and see if it's what you want. I'm not sure Architectural will do this. The problem is where the porch roof and the other roofs come together. 

Farmhouse plan v3 (with gable end) (eric).zip

I assume this is a new build, and if so, would suggest you consider using an Architect.

This is a large house and will cost a good bit to build.

I'll suggest this design could be improved. Consider, for example, how hotel like the bedroom wing is.

Thanks!  That's exactly what I am looking for.  I will play with this for a while.

We are planning to use an architect.  We are just using this to get ideas to help us understand what we like before we talk to the architect.

What sort of design ideas would you recommend for the area with the bedrooms?  

We are expecting to have to pay a lot to build this house.  I have spoken with a contractor and have a rough idea.  It certainly won't be cheap, but we're okay with that.

Thanks again for your help.

2 minutes ago, markdpatton said:

We are just using this to get ideas to help us understand what we like before we talk to the architect.

The best things to take to an Architect are an open mind, a list of what you want -- number of bedrooms etc, and some ideas about what you want the house to look like.

And make sure you are working with an Architect, not a draftsman or designer.

7 minutes ago, markdpatton said:

What sort of design ideas would you recommend for the area with the bedrooms?  

Not knowing anything about you or your building site, I can't make any specific recommendations, but I would suggest the guest room be off on its own. It's nice to have a bit of privacy when visiting.

For the bedrooms, try for windows on 2 walls, and for the house generally, be aware of the sun, especially the western sun. Your house if facing south would work because the garage and 2nd floor will help shade the rest of the house in the afternoon.