French Doors

Kevin_M

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Do you need something you cannot get by using doors or windows for the sidelights?

Well I can draw the French doors and use windows for the sidelights but then it changes the framing by trying to put a stud between them. I was just hoping there was an option somewhere for a complete assembly.  The unit we are using on the build is a complete pre-hung assembly that is 96" wide, French doors and sidelights.

In order to override default behavior you can open the Window Specification Dialog defaults and change the "Minimum Spacing" value from the default of 2" to zero inches, once done it is easier to place doors and side lights side by side. Try that please. That setting is found in "Edit Default Settings - Windows - Minimum spacing". Commonly you place your French doors and then place a window by the door. Then using the windows dialog box you make it look like a fixed door or sidelight.

DJP

Kevin,

On a product related comment, if it's not too late, I would suggest NOT using a double door with sidelights already mulled to it. It makes it nearly impossible to shim the unit plumb and square when trying to shim if off the sidelights. Ideally you want to be able to shim the door square and level so hardware lines up correctly, etc. A stud pocket between the door and sidelights will allow that and will make it easier to adjust over time if the door moves, etc. Most manufacturer's instructions recommend installation of screws in one or two of the hinges into the frame, which can't be done w/a sidelight. Plus it allows the unit to support less weight since the header would be unsupported for only the width of the door (maybe 6' in this case) than over the entire 8' opening. Just a thought, yet after 37 years in building material & construction related fields, I'd hate to see you have an issue down the road that can't be fixed easily.