Flush Dormer

RSWallace

I want to make a shed dormer with face over the wall below but with no eave. Interior behavior as on the left building, exterior as on the right.

Text is too small to read.

Left uses Build/Dormer, with front lip extended over the wall below, sides extended as far as allowed toward gable ends. Cabinet can be placed against the inside of the exterior wall. Undesired feature: eave below dormer between first and second floors.

Right uses external walls to make the dormer sides manually, back of this "embedded room" made from interior wall. Desired no eave below is achieved, but the new exterior walls prevent placement of objects against inside of the outside wall.

dxf file may be more legible; I haven't figured out yet how to open it to check.

I want to make a shed dormer with face over the wall below but with no eave. Interior behavior as on the left building, exterior as on the right.

Text is too small to read.

Left uses Build/Dormer, with front lip extended over the wall below, sides extended as far as allowed toward gable ends. Cabinet can be placed against the inside of the exterior wall. Undesired feature: eave below dormer between first and second floors.

Right uses external walls to make the dormer sides manually, back of this "embedded room" made from interior wall. Desired no eave below is achieved, but the new exterior walls prevent placement of objects against inside of the outside wall.

dxf file may be more legible; I haven't figured out yet how to open it to check.Flush Dormer.EMF

image.png

image.png

Thank you, but that's how I made the "right" of my two examples to show the desired external appearance. The undesired effect is that the dormer sides have to be external walls, necessarily inside the existing gable ends. That restricts, inside the room, access to the inside of the gable end wall. My "left" example runs an ordinary dormer up next to the external walls, allowing the (indicated) placement against the inside of the gable end, but I cannot then suppress the eave beneath the dormer. 

Clever workaround. It suppresses the eave below the dormer, and with No Locate checked as well as Invisible, it allows placement of objects against the wall -- no wedges required. Only remaining issue is that checking No Room Definition -- not really important, I suppose, except for correct interior room dimensions, but it'd be nice to have them be right -- causes the gable end wall to jump to the exterior wall and thus undo everything. Seems kind of like a bug -- can't see any good reason why it should "help" in this way. Perhaps it won't happen once I turn Auto Rebuild Roof off (which I need to do because of a Bonus Room and some other raised ceilings elsewhere); I'll see. The growing list of things that will get undone if I ever rebuild the roof brings to mind a sprung garage door spring: Boiiiinnnnng! and everything goes haywire.