A which product question

Muttley000

New guy here, let me explain the situation.  I own HD Pro version 8, and I tinkered with it several years ago.  The new products look to be way more powerful than what I have and I see there is a size able discount when upgrading.  I am getting ready for a 2 story addition on my house which I will build myself and my wife knows what she wants.  I am not worried about the building part, but sizing beams, footings, etc. is not my thing, I work off prints.  I will be having an engineer look over my plans, but need to be able to convey what my wife wants.  I am trying to find info to see if Home Designer Architectural or Home Designer Pro is the right product for me given what I am looking for.  Can anyone point me to some help?

Any software is as "Powerful" to the degree that its user is well studied and competent. Each newer version is designed to work better in studied, competent hands. New versions contain new or improved tools and fixes that were discovered in earlier versions. On my computer, I have installed versions 7-21 of Chief Architect Premier and I can say that old version 7 still works as it was designed to work but Version 21 is A LOT better, more tools, smoother operation and time-saving features. Software will NEVER do anything for you, no matter the version. In the end software is a tool and is as effective as the end user understands how to use it to aid them with their creative intentions. 

DJP

• Like 1

Hello,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the question.  I will try to give you some summary difference between the Home Designer Pro and Home Designer Architectural.  I will also provide a link to our comparison matrix that shows the differences feature by feature.

1. Pro has manual controls over things like framing and roofs.  The manual roof control gives you the ability to control the roof instead of relying on what the automatic roof tools provide.  This gives you more accuracy and the ability to handle more complex roof designs.  The manual framing tools allows you to specify framing while the Architectural version provides automatic framing with no control over things like headers, and other framing members.

2. The Pro version is the only Home Designer product with tools to help you to create constructions drawings.  Pro can create a layout page that is up to 18" x 24".  Architectural and the other products below it do not have the layout features.

3.  As you move up the product line, you get more design flexibility.  Pro will have the most flexibility out of the Home Designer products to incorporate custom design elements into your project.

There are many other feature differences.  Here is the comparison matrix with more detail. https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/product-chooser.html 

I hope this helps.  Feel free to contact our sales department if you have questions.  We would be happy to assist with the product differences and help you to determine the best fit for you.  We can be reached at 208.292.3400 or email  sales@chiefarchitect.com

Kind regards,

Derek Pedersen

Chief Architect Software