Material List - Wall Covering calculation issues?

DavidSp

Hi, 

For Wall Coverings, it appears that the material list doesn't calculate expect results.

It does not take into account objects such as niches, windows, doors, etc

Can anyone confirm they see the same behaviour?

Is this expected? It seems like a software bug

Thank you.

2-Home Designer Interiors 2019.png

1-Home Designer Interiors 2019.png

3-Home Designer Interiors 2019.png

4-Home Designer Interiors 2019.png

Edited by DavidSp
Add images

• 2 weeks later...

I too am struggling with material lists, especially with drywall calculations. The drywall calculations for the plan did not seem close to being accurate, so I started looking at individual walls and rooms. I have done a lot of testing on a single room with room material lists, changing the ceiling and wall materials to see how that affects the material list. It does seem that I now have the ceilings calculating ok. Apparently the issue was with Defaults. The walls are a different story. For instance, I have been working with a 10x6 closet and with different materials to see which ones actually end up in the material list. It appears that the ceiling of ~60 sq ft will take 2 4x8 sheets (64 sq ft). However the walls will definitely take more than 2 sheets as indicated on the material list. I'm suspicious that the wall material doesn't appear in a room material list if it spans more than that one room. I'm working with HD Pro 2017. I have checked the material specs for both the interior walls and exterior walls to make sure that drywall is the selected material. My plan is pretty much complete and I am working with contractors for quotations. It's frustrating that I can't trust the material list and will be hand checking every component. I also don't understand why Landscaping items appear in a Material List for a ROOM!??!  I suppose there is a reason but it doesn't make sense. It's taken me a lot of hours to understand the nuances of this program. It's fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it, but I still scratch my head a lot trying to figure out how to do things.. For instance, I'm using Cultured Stone for part of the exterior facade. Who would have thought that you use a Soffit (under Cabinet) to build an external wall covering? It works ok but took me a LONG time to find that (can't remember, either a tutorial video or forum post). Dormers are not easy to build. I'm using attic trusses and kept getting an error about "no ceiling under the middle of the truss". I fixed that by eliminating a wall that was separating 2 rooms under the truss. Then I was able to replicate the attic truss across the plan, even over the top of rooms that DID have a wall between them. Screwy stuff like that. I can't tell you how many plans were ruined by me making small changes and having the roof then go beserk with crazy angles all over the place. If I'm venturing into "new territory" in HD, I now save the plan, make changes and create a new version so I can go back to a checkpoint of sorts without losing a lot of work. (okay, that was me just venting). Hope someone can enlighten me on this material list issue.

.image.thumb.png.4a33ec91b3b12ccb7b9127997de7a174.pngimage.thumb.png.e2ae3fc4021dfe1133b84ea89cc4d524.png

25 minutes ago, jml755 said:

Hope someone can enlighten me on this material list issue.

I would not trust it. Frustrating, I know. Here is an example. 

12'x12'x8' structure -- no ceiling. Program calculates 13 sheets instead of 12. I've not seen a drywall crew hang 4x8 boards (standups), instead they use 12' boards horizontally. Maybe this could be changed, but it should be the default, or a simple setting.

ht1.thumb.jpg.1f982dfb7008e23c9cb85f575af7a9c6.jpg

34 minutes ago, jml755 said:

For instance, I'm using Cultured Stone for part of the exterior facade. Who would have thought that you use a Soffit (under Cabinet) to build an external wall covering?

Use a Pony Wall, not a soffit.

39 minutes ago, jml755 said:

I can't tell you how many plans were ruined by me making small changes and having the roof then go beserk with crazy angles all over the place.

Manual roofs. You have complete control.

41 minutes ago, jml755 said:

I am working with contractors for quotations

As a contractor, I would never go by a materials list provided by a customer.

----

Adding an occasional blank line sure helps with readability ;)

Eric,

thx for the reply. Sorry about the "readability". Agree 100%. I was in "want to go to bed mode" when I wrote that. LOL. 

I'm having a contractor rough it and I'm providing the materials. I'm just going to have to export the list to an .xls and go through it item by item manually comparing it to counts from the floor plan. I.e. do it "old school"  

Re the material list wall issue, I was thinking that maybe because the program doesn't know which room a wall is associated with, it doesn't include "common" walls in a material list calculation for a room. So I built a short interior wall totally inside a closet, rebuilt walls,floors ceiling and it didn't include any materials for that wall, no studs, no drywall when I used the "calculate material list for a room". Curious, though,  why it always includes the Terrain Landscaping in EVERY material list I do for a room. There's probably a "check box" somewhere that needs to be unchecked. LOL.

1529543770_screenshot1.thumb.png.2829552be8932514a87974bb81746d7a.png

• 4 months later...

Make sure you are doing your conversions properly.

I did a check on flooring for a 10x10 house with 5" planks, and HDPro came up with 195 feet of flooring.

I was looking for 81 SF by looking at internal dimensions.

195* 12 = 2340 lineal inches

2340*5 = 11700 square inches

11700/144 square inches/square foot  = 81.25 square feet.

I think that the numbers HD pro calculates are probably good.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having the same issue here with room calculate  constructed a 16x8 room only figures the ceiling no wall drywall. it will get the door window trim even hinges and locks but no wall drywall or paint 4 - 4x8 sheets that is simple enough to see it is just the ceiling. there response to me was. I can do all floors or area and subtract what I don't need. in 3500 sqft as built all floors doesn't make cense at all and if the room was surrounded by 3 walls I would have to subtract. hope there is a fix for that soon.

From Help:

Calculate Materials in Room
To create the Materials List for a room, select the room and then select Tools> Materials List> Calculate Materials for Room.
Calculate Materials in Room  is also available on a selected room’s edit toolbar. See Editing Rooms.
A Materials List calculated from a room is created for only the contents of that room:
wall materials are not included. An object will be counted in the Materials List if its center point is located inside of the room.

• 10 months later...