Porch Foundation Help

Kevin_M

Ok so I've got the house drawn up, even modified the foundation to add steps.  Now it's time to add the front porch, so I locate walls, tell it that the room is a porch, get the roof right, railings and posts right, all is well.......  Until you look down.  All it shows is the 4" slab and nothing else.  I need to add a 2' tall block wall with footers for the slab to sit on.  I've tried rebuilding foundation, changing wall types, changing room designations.... Nothing seems to get me a foundation under the porch.   Please guide me in the right direction as I'm sure there's a way to make it happen!

Hi Kevin, You understand that any foundation you draw is purely conceptual, you should, when your plan is finished share it in .dxf file format with a State Licensed Structural Engineer who is licensed to actually design the foundation and other purely structural concerns.

That said, you can just go to the foundation level (Floor Zero or <0>) and using the foundation wall tool to manually draw in the foundation under any porches you add on. The program software is smartly created by itself is not "smart" you have to add the additional guidance and actions to make everything right.

DJP

25 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Hi Kevin, You understand that any foundation you draw is purely conceptual, you should, when your plan is finished share it in .dxf file format with a State Licensed Structural Engineer who is licensed to actually design the foundation and other purely structural concerns.

There are many areas where this is not required. I've been building for 30+ years in 3 states and have not once needed or been required to have a foundation engineered.

Thanks for the input.  I'm running Pro 2019.  It just seems very odd to me that considering any cold climate is going to need a footer below the frost line that there's no option to generate the wall and footer to match the rest of the structure.