24" x 36" drawing with Home Designer Pro?

SeabeeMike

I recently found out that I will need to deliver a project on 24" x 36" rather than 18" x 24".  Now, before you say - upgrade to Chief Architect, I don't do enough projects to warrant that investment.

With that said, my current thought process is as follows (for however convoluted it may be) but absolutely open to suggestions:

- Start with a 24" x 36" Power Point slide

- Create HD Pro layouts as 11" x 17" at half final scale. i.e. the floor plan at 1/8" rather than 1/4", etc.

- Print the layout as a PDF

- Insert PDF on 24" x 36" Power Point slide, then double size.

Surely I'm not the first to try to skin this cat so definitely open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks,

Mike

When I have larger projects that will need to go on 24 x 36 paper, I will draw it and send to PDF on 11x17 paper with the title block scale reading 1/4"=1'-0". Then when I send the PDF to be printed I just ask them to double the size, not fit to page. It will come out as 22 x 34 on 24x36 paper, and that should work for all parties.If it has to be on power point, then I am pretty sure your idea will work too.

• Like 1

Keith - do you do any adjustment to the line weights?  For instance, it seems as if the drawing is going to ultimately be printed at 200%, the original line weights should be reduced to 50% so that they're not double sized on the final output.  Maybe I'm over thinking this!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

I'm using HD Suite - not Pro but have found that I can print to 1/8" scale then tape the letter sized sheets together and then beat feet for the nearest Office Depot or Staples where they can blow it up to 1/4" scale and print. Not saying that you would have to tape sheets together but rather that one of the mega office chain stores may be able to blow up your drawings to the desired size.

RobinD - I actually created a 12" x 18" layout template with the title block on it. I bring in everything at 1/8" scale, or what ever other scale I need at half it's final print size. I add the drawing titles in the layout and give the final print scale. I save as a PDF then the print source prints at 200% or just scale to fit on 24" x 36" sheet.

Hi Mike,

Do you give your plans to builders to estimate off of when you have them printed at "scale to fit?" If so, you would be doing yourself and them a huge favor to use the HD Pro provided 18" x 24" layout sheet and send it to that sheet at the scale that will fit and have it printed at scale on 18" x 24" paper. Trying to estimate from a plan with no scale will be of little if no help to them. The sheets will resize in both directions to fit the sheet and I think any consistency will disappear. Just my 2 cents.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, SeabeeMike said:

recently found out that I will need to deliver a project on 24" x 36" rather than 18" x 24". 

Can I ask Seabeemike - why you were asked to provide your design on this larger sheet size.
Just curious. Maybe less sheets or something else?

Was the scale requirement also stipulated?

Thanks in advance.