How to get Flooring overhang on 2nd floor loft ??

dennmill

Using Home Designer Pro

I'm able to make a loft on the 2nd Floor by drawing a railing and making an "Open Below" room. No problem there. But I would like the loft flooring (2x6 planks) to overhang the supporting structure by about 2 inches (very similar to how a stair tread overhangs the riser by an inch or so). Is there any way to specify the flooring to cantilever a couple inches past the floor framing? I suppose one workaround would be to draw the overhang as a soffit and "coat it" with the same pattern as the flooring. But is there a "proper" way to do this?

Thanks

thanks for the speedy reply.

That was an interesting experiment, but i didn't get it to work correctly. I added the exterior "opening" layer and still saw no overhang. It took me a while to realize that at the bottom of the Wall Type Definitions screen I needed to set "Build Platform to Exterior of Layer" and then pick the "opening" layer that I just added. That did give me an overhang but I've attached images to show the other side effects that occurred.

I decided to make the "opening" 10 inches wide. With a 2.5" main layer the wall is now 12.5" wide. The first problem I noticed was that top rail becomes 12.5" wide instead of the desired 2.5". Also, looking at the plan view I noticed that this railing is centered over the newels, so that the overhang was split in half and is only 5" rather than 10".

I cannot find any other place to edit any of these items, like making the top railing 2.5" while keeping the overhang below. So I'm still stuck, but at a different place.

Rail in Center.JPG

Rail Crazy big.JPG

If you will attach your plan, I or someone else will take a look.

You can see from the image I posted above that the only thing that changed is the floor overhang. The top rail is the same, and all I did was add the layer shown. No other changes to the wall.

I've chopped the structure into a smaller one in hopes that the file would be smaller. not sure it changed much. But this file exhibits the problem.

Actually I'm having another problem here. The two highest roof planes can either be set for Boxed Eave (1) Default to Overhang or (2) Flush Eave. One of these settings works, I think the Default to Overhang, but the other one only changes one end of the roof planes, not both, so that it's Flush Eave one end and Default to Overhang of the Other. Seems it should be one or the other, not one of each.

Thanks for the help

Untitled 1.zip

I forget the limitations of Pro ...

Select the railing and delete the Opening No Material layer. Set the width of the main layer to the width of the railing. Set the wall to No Room Definition.

Draw a Room Divider wall across to define the edge of the hall.

This should give you the look you are after. You can move the railing around as it's no longer defining the room.

ht1.thumb.jpg.079169eb849d37f68c2c3fdfa36fdab9.jpg

Ahhh, thank you so much. Not only did you figure out this problem but you greatly enlightened me. I've been pulling my hair out trying to draw this floor and railing and having a hard time of it because the Railing would take over defining the room. i didn't know this was something that I could turn off. Thank you so much. Does Chief Architect pay you for helping out people so much? If not, they should, you and a couple other people.

By the way, did you see the other question I had about the Boxed Eave not working as expected?

23 minutes ago, dennmill said:

Does Chief Architect pay you for helping out people so much?

Not hardly.

I'll take a look at the roof problem, but will say the flush eaves thing is buggy. I almost never have a plan where they work correctly.