Strange Soffit - Act Like the Door Trim I Want You to Be!

SeabeeMike

This could be considered Phase 2 of the more elaborate Door/Window trim question I posted last week.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/4706-more-than-simple-window-trim/?tab=comments#comment-25079

I have had pretty good luck with using four soffit pieces to create the actual trim I need over doors and windows.  That is until those pieces end up close to a perpendicular wall and then the program wants to default them all the way to that wall instead of standing off the way I need them.  Adding insult to injury, when one of those pieces is selected (see Elevation picture) it clearly shows as the correct dimension, yet it is rendered in both plan and elevation as extending all the way to the adjacent wall.

Clearly this must be some setting somewhere but I don't see anything in Settings nor do I see anything in the Soffit dialogue box.

Small detail yet will be wrong if & when I cut an interior elevation.

Thanks!

Door Trim Elevation.jpg

Door Trim Plan.jpg

Villa Sogno.zip

Soffits have magic properties that are often unwanted but cannot simply be turned on or off.

Slabs are far less likely to cause these type of problems.

Here is a molding you might try. Use as a Lintel and check Wrap.

After copying the file to your PC, drag it into Pro, or Library>Import Library

Door-Window Head Trim 1.calibz

• Like 1

Eric - Thanks but dang if I'm not feeling dumb!

I saved it to my Catalog Folder, used Library Import & selected the file. Pop up said it was loaded in but for the life of me I cannot find it in my Library!  Even did a search for the file name.

Mike

SeabeeMike,

Opened your plan in Pro 2019 Trial.

If the soffit components you used to create the header trim are locked as an architectural block, the block does not seem self-lengthen and snap to the corner.

Hence, if created for a certain width door or window, copy/paste the architectural block above as needed to doors or windows the same width.  Else, unlock, and adjust the components then lock again for different sized windows and doors.

It's a little tedious but gets the job done, but if you prefer the header you created, done.

• Like 1

Have you downloaded the WindsorONE Moldings catalog from the bonus catalogs?  

There is a header buildup in the Classical Craftsman Style that might be of interest to you.

It would eliminate having to block and then resize every piece of your 'block' for different size windows and doors, if you used this molding instead.

• Like 1

Eric - Thanks for the offer of a custom part but I think I have a way forward.

DIG5050 - Bingo, you nailed it!

Jo_Ann - I looked at that but still not the profile I need.  Yes, changing each block may be a little cumbersome but it helps to ensure each installation is working as intended.

Many thanks to all!!