More than simple window trim?

SeabeeMike

I'm presuming that there's no easy way to set the trim as shown in the attached image as a default?

I'm thinking the only solution is to create all the trim as "soffit" pieces then create a block for the window & trim.  That would then be inserted in place of the standard windows.

Then again, not sure HD would recognize the block as a "window". If that's the case, then all the windows would need to be inserted with no casing and the block would be pasted on the wall around the window?

Thanks

Farmhouse-Window-Trim-14.jpg

Presuming you chose the 'default' template when beginning your plan:

Go to the Library (Core Catalog) > Windows > Window Units > Rectangular > Arts and Crafts window.
When you place this window, the window on the right is what you get?!!

Leave the original plan open, and start a new plan, choosing either 'Arts & Crafts' or 'Colonial' template.  Tile the new plan next to the original plan, and draw a wall.

Once again choose the library 'Arts & Crafts' window, and you should get the window shown on the left.
Copy, then paste this window into the original plan.

Why anyone should have to go to this extreme to get the Arts & Crafts window offered in the library, is not something that makes sense to me.

image.thumb.png.4d9b93fe7e9ca4e68fbf2271e287e1ec.png

• Like 1

Choosing the window type with the trim characteristics they way you want them is important, but once that is done, check the characteristics details.

After wasting some time playing with this a bit, the reason the window trims don't appear when you place a certain type window into a default plan, is that the trim materials are not chosen, so they don't appear.

In the picture below, the window on the left is the A&C window from the library, but circled in red, the molding materials aren't chosen, so they don't appear.  For the a given window-with-trim type,  perhaps the trim should appear in some manner, with final material selection left up to the user. You can always turn the trim off with the check boxes elsewhere in the same menu.

Once the materials are set to something, like ash colored alder in the window on the right, they appear.

Menu.thumb.jpg.c17ea1d2050629c845fd3296240813ac.jpg

• Like 1

Ah-Ha!  Who would have thought?  That is much simpler than the copy/paste method.

Considering that all windows usually install with a default material already applied, who would have guessed that applying a material to the non-existent molding would cause it to miraculously appear?!

I've also noticed that these windows seem to have a lot of  'Z fighting'  going on.

Great additional information. The window on the right is the solution from both Jo_Ann & DIG5050.  The window on the left is my four piece "soffit" header. I originally built this for a double window configuration, saved as a block then saved to my Library. Once the block is inserted, it needs to be exploded the each of the four pieces adjusted for length and centered on the opening (window or door).

Clearly Eric's Chief Architect solution is the easiest; however, for those dwelling (OK, pun intended) in Home Designer, it seems either of these solutions works. One thing I noticed is the apron size is not able to be set as the Arts & Crafts window can - although the A&C window relies on a specific trim profile.

Thanks for all the help!

Window Trim.jpg

TIP:

You don't need to explode the block.

While in either 2d or 3d view (3d is easier), select the block and then hit your 'tab' key.

It will select each piece of the 'block' and allow you to open and edit, while the pieces still remain 'blocked'.

• Like 1