Railing over half wall? (HD Pro 2014)

amilkzoo

I believe a railing always takes over the wall, so putting a rail as the upper wall om a pony wall, it will only show the rail.

Eric, I've found that to be the case.  I've been unable to render a railing or Newells and balusters and snap the railing on top of the wall.  We've also made various attempts using interior walls, half walls and wall coverings. 

I think I'm going to try and create an image in another softward type and import the image.  However I'm unsure if you can use the material painter on a foreign image ...

if I understand you right ? ( why an image of something similar helps)        you want to make a 1/2 wall ,say 42" high , and then put Spindles  (balusters)  on top of the wall up to the ceiling ? Kind of a retro look ?

This should be do-able by either placing spindles (balusters) from the library on top of the wall Manually    , you could also use "Shapes" from the library to do the same thing if you don't like the library items , eg turn a box into a 2"x2"x54h" Spindle ( add material as wanted) , place it on top of the wall and then copy/paste  (or Transform/replicate is better in Pro) and make another 10-20 as needed for the rest.

Mick.

bit hard to tell from your pic but I think that is the BX04 Spindle in the Library under Arch.>Millwork>Balusters>Boxed>BX-04

so if you draw a 1/2 wall you should be able to place these on top by adjusting the distance to bottom to the height of the wall and then using the CTRL key to movr them onto the wall in plan view , like this  

post-25-0-88730400-1414537525_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

It isn't perfect, but you can actually place a Half Wall and a Railing at the same location, but you need to start out by putting the railing away from the half wall and mark it "No Room Def" as well as increase its height and raise the bottom rail.

Thanks Kat, I needed this today after spending bunch of time trying to figure out how to place a railing on top of the half wall of a parapet roof deck!!  :D

post-1560-0-98580500-1452961508_thumb.jpg