Importing Terrain

Sedona

Good morning,

I am a newbie and hoping someone could help me to understand where I am going wrong.

I am trying to import a topo for a 20,000 sq ft lot that includes the location of some trees.  The surveyor said the file was Y,X,Z with description ( file as (Y,X,Z,D) where Y is the Northing (Y coordinate), X is the Easting (X coordinate),  is the Elevation and D is the description (also called point code). .  I select the # Y X Z description comma delimited.  Then I don't know what to select on the next page but have tried both feet and inches.  (I also not know what to choose with the Origin check boxes.)

Example line - 2001,43123.710,45897.440,4370.380,RB > NO ID

Full file is attached.

I have tried multiple times to load it.  Most of the time it doesn't appear to even parcel the data.18179 TopoPoints.txt

Thank you for any help,

Doug

Hello Sedona,

What version of the software are you using?

I tried importing your data file using the format of #Y X Z,  default settings of FT. and no other boxes checked. 

What I get is a terrain that is pretty close to square, with dimensions approximately 217' x 220'. There are some points outside the terrain that I deleted, assuming they were something else other than pertinent data.  217' x 220' is almost equal to an area of almost 48000 Sq. Ft.  You stated your lot is 20,000 Sq. Ft.

Is it possible that your lot is located somewhere inside the terrain that is created?   Perhaps your surveyor can provide a little more information to you regarding the data points, regarding the scaling of points, and location of the lot within the terrain bounded by the points in the file, assuming 1 Ft. default units in HDPro. 

Thank you for taking your time to help me!

I am using Home Designer Pro 2019

The lot is more of a rectangle with the northern length of 165.85' and a bite out the southwest corner.  (I have attached a PDF of the info I am trying to import)  There are three points outside the lot, of the neighbor's ridge-line and chimney.

The surveyor is nice but I don't think knows software outside of what he uses.

Thank you for any other insight!!!

Doug

18179 Barnes Topo- REV 2018-10-29-1.pdf

Hello,

Nice lot. 

Import the PDF file into HDPro.

Draw a line along the north lot line to a length of 165.85' .  Angle your line parallel to this north lot line. Click to select the PDF image and expand it to match the 165.85' lot line with your line. You must grab it at the corner of the PDF image to maintain the same aspect ratio so the PDF stays proportioned. Once the PDF's north lot line and your drawn line match, stop and click. 

As a sanity check, draw another line along the east lot line to check to make sure it's close to the 130.37' length. Angle it parallel to the east lot line. It should match the east lot line in length closely but probably won't be exact. If it doesn't match closely, it means the drawing proportions are "off" for some reason.  Expand or shrink PDF along the proper edge to match your line and the east lot line.

I'd save it to a file called Sedona_topo... in case you need to start over again. 

Now you can trace over the PDF and draw in lot lines, terrain elevation splines, and other cad details, such as setbacks, water line, sewer line, etc. and the North pointer using the PDF as an original. When done, save it to a file like complete_sedona_topo..

Depending on how you want to place the building on the lot, or how you want to illustrate the building on the drawings and site plan, you can opt to select and rotate everything appropriately. I would always design the building with the walls parallel to the edges of the drawings as possible. 

Once you are happy with your completed topo, I would save it again for later use, just in case. 

This should get you on your way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Dig 5050.

I followed your advice and imported the PDF, sized it and then drew over it.  Now I want to not display the original PDF.  The only way I can see to turn it off is to uncheck the CAD layer.  This then also removes the property and setback lines I drew over the PDF.  Am I missing something?

Thanks again.