Timber Frame; can it be done in Essentials 2015

photogcyn

Hi all,

I have Home Designer Essentials 2015.

I've seen the guide on how to build a timber frame "barn."

What if I want to build a timber frame house? Can I use what is done for the timber frame barn and put in walls?

The only glitch is that the barn is made using the decking icon; I know "wall" can be made in that mode, but will

it work for a house?

Thanks!

With essentials it might be the only way as you don't have framing Tools do you ? 

David will probably have a definitive answer for you but I can't try it I only have Pro and there are other ways with Pro but I think User Rfcomm2k  did his Barn that way even though he has Pro and he put walls into his I think for an Office extension  do a search on his threads/content perhaps for more ideas.

In Pro we can use this Tut. too

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00598/

I suppose you mean a structure with open sides (a series of posts holding up a beam for the roofs. The only difference between a "barn" and a "house" is its size.and purpose as defined by its creator. Any enclosed space by walls can be programmed and roofed in any Home Designer title or version. The main difference between Essentials and other titles is "choice" and detail. Only you can decide if Essentials fulfills your needs. Without knowing in detail what you intend, what you find acceptable, I just say that you should get started and see for yourself. If you require more choice and ability then you can upgrade at any time,

DJP

You can draw a railing wall within a house room (keep a 2' distance away from interior wall) and specify it as 'no rail/post to beam'.  THEN slide it up against the interior drywall.

If your room ceiling is sloping  (ceiling unchecked)  you will have to use soffits to simulate upper beams in that area  (horizontal & vertical).

If you want beams to follow the ceiling slope, your only option (in Essentials) is to make them in sketch-up (free program).

I think it is easier to just use soffits rather that the railing wall  (in the main room).

Best answer - Manual framing is only available in Pro.

If you only have the one project, maybe you can get by with spending a bunch more time by trying to fake it using railings, shapes, and outside symbols, but if you are going to be doing multiple projects, probably best to just upgrade.

• Upvote 1