Shed/Carport roof on detached garage

JamesR

Hi folks,

Working on a detached garage design with a simple 12/12 roof bearing on the 1st floor walls. I would like to add a shed-style roof to one side of the garage and trying to achieve a look like the attached pictures. 

I followed this support article, even though it was for CA Premier, and got part of the way there. But I'm not sure how to adapt it to my specific design. When I follow the article to the letter, I get a negatively slopped shed roof, I think due to the example building having 12 ft ceilings and my design having 9 ft.  In general, I'm looking for some advice on how to properly achieve a roof design like in the picture. However, if that isn't specific enough, below are the issues I think I'm having:

1. Not sure how to adjust the height of deck railing wall that supports the lower side of the shed roof. That would help with the negative slop issue, but I think would cause too low of a roof if I did something reasonable like a 4/12 slope.

2. Unsure of how to control the roof overhangs on the main 12/12 part. I would like to have the default overhang on the right side (looking at the garage door), and no overhang on the left side. However, when I open the main left wall and change the Roof>Overhang>Length to 0", nothing seems to happen.

3. Similar to #2, I would like to remove the gutter from the left side of the 12/12 roof and keep it on the right.

4. How to properly, and precisely, tie-in the manual roof plane for the shed roof to the main automatically drawn 12/12 roof plane...

Example 1.jpg

Example 2.jpg

Two Story Garage - Truss (Vendor).plan

My Design.JPG

Thanks Eric. I knew it was probably possible to do, it was more the how I was looking for help with.

Anyways, after an hour or so of trying, I figured it out. For anyone else that needs to know, you use the "Join Roof Planes" tool. You have to drag the shed roof back so there is a gap between that and the main roof plane. Then click on the side of the roof plane next to the one you want to join, then click the "Join Roof Planes." The command was demonstrated in several training videos, but always with two manual roof planes. Makes sense that it works with a manual and automatic plane, but wasn't intuitive to me before.

As to the videos comment, I'm not sure about other people, but I always search the videos section of the website before posting here. That's how I ended up following a Premier KB article that showed  a completely different way to do the shed/carport roof than what I ended up doing (that article never used the "Join Roof Planes" tool).

So, I have the roof over the porch area now. However, the top cord of the attic trusses is sticking down through the ceiling of the porch. Any suggestions on how to take care of that? HDPro doesn't have the edit framing member tool like Premier does and when I simply drag the truss back to snap over the main layer of the garage exterior wall, I get a funny truss design with extraneous webbing. 

Thanks,

--Jamie

Truss rafters.jpg

Two Story Garage with Shed - Truss (Vendor).plan

I have another question in addition to the one above. I'm doing an alternative plan that uses rafters for the roof framing (since I'm not sure how trusses will even work with the shed roof overhang). However, I can't seem to get a ceiling over the porch room. I have the "Roof Over This Room" and "Flat Ceiling Over This Room" checked in the Structure tab. I also have ceiling surfaces checked to display in the 3D perspective layer options. Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Jamie

Ceiling.jpg

Two Story Garage with Shed - Rafter (Vendor).plan

Hi folks,

Does anyone have an idea about the question I had in my 2nd post (quoted below)? I'm not even sure trusses should be used in this situation, but attic trusses do seem to be great options for just a two story garage without the carport/shed roof.

Thanks,

--Jamie

"So, I have the roof over the porch area now. However, the top cord of the attic trusses is sticking down through the ceiling of the porch. Any suggestions on how to take care of that? HDPro doesn't have the edit framing member tool like Premier does and when I simply drag the truss back to snap over the main layer of the garage exterior wall, I get a funny truss design with extraneous webbing."

Since, by established Law and convention, no one is allowed to design trusses except State Licensed Structural Engineers in all fifty States. No one is ever going to "set foot" other than virtually, into your virtual house that exists in virtual space. That said, I suggest you run your plan by someone trained and licensed to address such structural questions and leave structural matters to licensed persons.

DJP