Drawing with "Lines"

RyanJS430

I have been exploring the trial version of the Home Designer Pro version of this software to see if it will meet my needs ...

I want to do my own construction drawings for a small, 11' × 14', addition to our house (kitchen). I am aware this program will generate exterior elevations and framing detail/cross sections; however, I would rather just draw them "manually" using the line tool.

In the early 2000's I was employed as an architectural draftsman, and my employer used ArchiCAD (I do not recall which version). I like this Home Designer software because it is very similiar to that earlier version of ArchiCAD; however, it seems as though you cannot draw with lines as freely. Offsetting and trimming lines seems impossible and every line drawn seems to snap/connect to specific points along other lines. 

My project is a simple one and I feel I can more quickly, and effectively, draw my exterior elevations and the two framing details I need with lines, the old fashion way, verses having to draw my entire house and have the program render the elevations and cross sections. 

If anyone understands my question, I would appreciate any feedback or leads to a tutorial, assuming this program can function in that way.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

You are comparing a $5000 program with a $500 one :)

The CAD tools have many shortcomings, such as no trim.

Read about snaps (object, grid etc) and see how they work.

There are videos that go over the CAD tools -- have you watched them?

Have you considered SketchUp? 

You may not need to draw your entire house, just the parts (maybe just walls), that your addition will connect to.