Printing File Too Large

almckay

Home Designer Pro - The files this software producers are too large for commercial printers to handle. Even in pdf format several have said their systems can't handle it.

Removing items is not an option. Zip file is not an option. Is there someway of reducing the file size without reducing the content?

In my personal experience since I started using this software in 1995, this has never happened to me. I am a professional Designer, Draftsperson and Teacher. That said, it has apparently happened to you. 

What kind of printed results do you need to have, how many pages? What paper size? What version of Home Designer Pro do you have, please? How do you intend to print the files, I mean do you have a printer that prints the maximum paper size for Home Designer Pro (which is 18" x 24" paper) or do you wish to print to some other size? When you  say "Printer File", what exactly do you mean, please?

DJP

I don't remember anyone having that problem, here or on ChiefTalk. Chief creates multi-page layouts, so the entire set of construction documents is in a single PDF, not just a single page layout like is in Home Designer.

I'd contact Chief support directly.

You could also try different PDF print drivers.

Hi Solvers,

thanks for your replies.

I'm using Home Designer Pro 2018.

The problem file is a site plan for a 1 acre block with contours, landscape and house. 

Sheet size is A2 at 1:200.

I convert the plan to layout and then layout to PDF.

I spent 2 hours with a commercial printer today who print thousands of plans every year.

There system kept crashing when trying to process the file to the printer(s).

I'm thinking it might be the various fill and shading options I've used to identify garden beds etc.

They're made u of a lot of lines.

The refresh rate on the screen when in PDF is incredibly slow.

The file is 42MB so no point trying to place it here.

Here is a link to a discussion of this problem at Chief Talk:https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/14862-why-does-chiefs-own-print-driver-create-such-large-files/?tab=comments#comment-126018

Here is a link to a web search for info about large PDF files: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Adobe+PDF+files+are+too+large%2C+what+can+I+do%3F&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

You should also submit a Tech Support Ticket to see if they can suggest something useful for you. It is factual that the more vector (lines and fills) material that you add to a plan file and layout file does directly affect the weight of it in Mb's and that alone may be the case.

DJP