Garage Stem Wall - Read all the info, still not intuitive

SeabeeMike

Once again, everything seemed to be moving along really well. David got me back on track with my deck columns yesterday (great help creating a video for me!) and I was off and running.

Until, I hit the wall. The darn garage stem wall.  While I've read the Knowledge Base "Modifying Garage Floor & Stem Wall Heights" but this is still escaping me.  I'm also not sure what the absolute funkiness is at the corner of the attached image.

I realize the terrain is not correct and I'll adjust the grading once I get the foundation all correct.

- I'm shooting for the garage and main house top of foundation wall to be the same height, rather than the garage wall higher.

- I also want (have it this way now) the main house to have a crawl space while the garage & shop are a slab floor, 32" lower than the main house with a constant ceiling height (9') throughout the entire house, except where I have the cathedral ceiling and raised ceiling in the Entry.

I sure am glad there's no limit to the number of cries for help.  This forum has been awesome to help muddle through things.

Seven_Cedars.plan

Garage Stem Wall.jpg

My best advice about foundations is to leave their design and construction to trained professionals. Why would you, your next-door neighbor or your Uncle Todd tell you how to design and build the foundation on which you build your expensive new home on (if you are smart you won't do that). Most States and counties require foundations to be designed, stamped and or sealed by a State Licensed Structural Engineer (not you, me, or even a licensed Architect). I have "drawn" (not designed) lots of foundation plans but ONLY under the supervision and advice of a State Licensed Structural Engineer licensed in the State where the home is to be built (no exceptions). Otherwise, my foundations are purely cosmetic and conceptual.

The video is mainly about that and a little about editing terrain. There are adjustments you can make to foundations to get the look you desire, I cover some of those. Let those trained and licensed by your State do the actual designing of such a vitally important element of your new home please, and not two guys with a pickup truck.

I do not mean to discourage you at all, I actually do wish you well

DJP