Lapped ceiling joists/collar ties

JamesR

Hey folks. Building a simple single story 24'x24' detached garage. Framing the 4 in 12 roof traditionally with 2x6 ceiling joists. Due to the availability of lumber in this area, I'm pretty sure the span will need framed with lapped 2"x6"-16' boards. Is there anyway to simulate he picture I've attached in the framing of Home Designer Pro?

Joist lap.JPG

David,

Thanks for the reply. What framing defaults are you referencing? I didn't see anything when I went into the menu.

So, in plan view I'm using the break tool and breaking the ceiling joist in the middle, moving one side up, and extending them to lap. That part is ok. However, I can't figure out how to do the vertical support member that ties the joists to the rafters. The "General Framing" tool is not available in a cross section or perspective view, so I'm not sure how to draw something vertical like that in plan view.

Thanks,

--Jamie

44 minutes ago, JamesR said:

so I'm not sure how to draw something vertical like that in plan view.

Draw a post, then resize it from a 4x4 to a 2x.

Take an elevation view of the post and size in vertically. Once it's as you want, Transform/Replicate to copy it to your other joist/rafters.

I'm curious why you are trying to model this framing condition. If you are submitting plans for permitting, a CAD detail showing one such assembly should suffice.

25 minutes ago, solver said:

I'm curious why you are trying to model this framing condition. If you are submitting plans for permitting, a CAD detail showing one such assembly should suffice.

I'm an engineer and details bug the sh*t out of me? But your suggestion of doing it just once, and taking a back-clipped cross section to do a detail on it seems like a great idea.

--Jamie