cbabynurse

HOME DESIGNER SUITE 2019

The room I'm working on has a staircase coming down into it.  The wall supporting, or under, the staircase SHOULD be sloped to match the angle of the stairs. I think I finally figured out how to do that, but now I can't get the molding to display properly.

1.  I'm having trouble making the wall angled.
  2.  This wall should be solid (ie: you can NOT see the treads/risers).  The best I've been able to do is make the handrail solid, but there's still a gap showing the steps.
  3. How do I remove the chair rail from this wall without also removing it from the rest of the walls in the room? - The rest of the room has a chair rail, but there should  NOT be a chair rail on the staircase wall.  (It'll be an accent wall).  I've tried using the parallelogram shape to cover it.  It's not only really hard to match the angle, but, I can't get it flush against the entire staircase wall because the chair rail is in the way.  
  4. The crown molding automatically displays on the back wall of the stairwell & shouldn't.
  5.  How do I extend the base molding all the way across the bottom of the stairwell wall.  (When I extend the wall to match the length of the staircase, it automatically becomes a full-height wall instead of matching the angle.)

(See the attached pic/doc.)

Thanks!

~ Cheryl

Stairwell Accent Wall - Molding Problems.jpg

Stairwell Accent Wall Molding Problems.jpg

If you are using a Windows Operating System, it has a built-in file compression utility (select the "File-Back up Entire Plan" comand to compress the entire plan file and associated material fils into a single compressed file archive). So when others look at your file, it will appear just like it looks on your PC on theirs. You can also make a copy of your plan file and strip out non-essential objects to make it smaller for sharing then "Back up Entier Plan" on that to get a smaller file if necessary. Then post that here for others to research.

Without your plan file to look at, we can only guess what is amiss, sorry.

I can see what your problem is but not why it is manefesting itself, that is due to settings and settings are resident only in your plan file, thank you for sharing anyway!

DJP

Thanks! - I THINK I figured out what was wrong, or at least a work-around. - I went back to the stairwell & added a wall at the bottom of the stairs (to enclose the area) then made the wall invisible.  Then I was able to change the settings for that room to unspecified & delete all molding.  I also created a wall break at the bottom of the stairs so that I could still keep the molding in place on the wall until the stairs started.  

To close up the gap between the bottom of the solid rail & the support wall, I lined up a bunch of closed block shapes, set them for 1/16" thickness, staggered their heights, the CAREFULLY lined them all up & "grouped them" & then slid them over into the staircase wall.  (Took FOREVER to get them lined up the right way!).

Not sure what this will affect down the road, but for now the 3D rendering looks OK.  

Stairwell Accent Wall - Corrected Molding.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks cbabynurse for posting your 'fix' to the issue!   I had a similar problem with an "open area" in a room.  The crown molding was showing up on the wall in the "open area", which I did not want.  Putting in a wall making it invisible did the trick.  Once I added the wall, I changed the type of wall to 'glass' with a thickness of 1/8" in order to lessen the wall 'imprint' in the 3D view.   I used adding an invisible wall on another issue I had, but I didn't think about using it in this situation.  Thanks again. ;-)

73184656_OpenArea.thumb.png.9cea3a112a6b715709e25ea2455855f8.png