Moldings on glass wall

JamesR

Is there a way to remove the room moldings from a specific wall? You can see from the picture that I have a bath that has a shower in it. A glass wall divides the shower from the rest of the bath. I would like crown molding around the perimeter of the entire space, along with base molding in the bath (not shower) area, except on the glass wall.

Thanks,

--Jamie

Bath moldings issue.jpg

OR...

Use a wall break to separate the shower 'room' from the bath, then remove the moldings from the shower room.

Use a railing wall, set to use 'panels', using a tempered glass material.  You can set the preferred height for the glass wall, by setting the railing height.

You will need to add a 'curb', but don't use a soffit, because it will take on the base molding. Use a closed box shape instead.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00886/creating-a-custom-glass-shower.html

image.thumb.png.08c6b5a8d09a515d71296c484e040b41.png

Thanks everyone.

Jo Ann - I've read the KB article on showers, but didn't see a reference to my question. Your advice might have been generic, but I don't see how the solution you proposed would eliminate the crown molding on the glass wall, but not the other three walls of the shower? Am I missing something?

--Jamie

You don't really need to add wall breaks on the wall.  Just open the shower 'room' and delete the molding that you don't want.

The railing wall  ( glass, which forms the shower 'room')  will not display the crown molding.

The custom backsplash tool is great for adding the wall tile and decorative tile strip.

Have you tried it?

image.thumb.png.8f7faf7fb14189745612222c665eee56.png

I did try the railing wall. It solves the issue of the crown molding, as the wall doesn't reach to the ceiling platform so it doesn't get the crown molding. However, since I'm designing a barrier-free or curbless shower, it doesn't help with the base molding wrapping the glass door. I can remove the molding from the "shower" room, however, you can't remove it from just one wall in the "bath" room, so it still shows up on the outside of the glass door. 

Either way, Eric's idea works well enough. I wish there wasn't so many "work arounds" needed to do a tile shower and bath, but its getting there. Its madding that a pony wall (framed lower, glass upper) intersecting with a glass wall removes the outer wall layer (drywall or tile) at the intersection. Same with a half wall and a slab or soffit manually positioned on top of it.

Thanks,

--Jamie

As you can see in the pic, the wall can reach the ceiling, and there is NO crown molding.

The wall also rests on the floor, and there is NO base molding.

No "work around" necessary.

So I have NO clue, what you are doing.

If you post your plan, maybe it will help.

image.thumb.png.0cbf26063e6fe5eecc47de2d5d7ace2e.png

This is why so many times it is important for someone to upload their plan to get help with a problem.

Uploading your sample plan revealed what the problem was.

You didn't follow the instructions I gave in my 1st post:  " Use a railing wall, set to use 'panels', using a tempered glass material."

I would still create a curb (for the glass to rest on top of) extending to the door, then leave the door "barrier-free".

Jo Ann,

Thanks, that was my mistake. No base molding now.

Did you see the other question/issue I had with the wall intersection? It is still there with the panel railing wall type. The framing shows on the regular wall where the two meet.

--Jamie

The glass wall is snapping over the end of the solid wall.

One way to resolve this is to extend the solid wall out at least 6" (otherwise it will snap back) beyond the glass wall.  In the real world, this wall probably should be extended that way.

The other way, is to prevent the glass wall from snapping over the solid wall, by using 2 room divider walls, as shown.  Back off the glass wall 1st, then zoom in and make the divider walls really tiny.  Then drag the glass wall back so that it snaps to the divider wall.  This set-up will maintain the shower as a separate "room".

image.thumb.png.dbe1504a2827473f6f6c9a064233e564.png

• 5 years later...
On 9/4/2018 at 1:10 AM, JamesR said:

I did try the railing wall. It solves the issue of the crown molding, as the wall doesn't reach to the ceiling platform so it doesn't get the crown molding. However, since I'm designing a barrier-free or curbless shower, it doesn't help with the base molding wrapping the glass door. I can remove the molding from the "shower" room, however, you can't remove it from just one wall in the "bath" room, so it still shows up on the outside of the glass door. 

Either way, Eric's idea works well enough. I wish there wasn't so many "work arounds" needed to do a tile shower and bath, but its getting there. Its madding that a pony wall (framed lower, glass upper) intersecting with a glass wall removes the outer wall layer (drywall or tile) at the intersection. Same with a half wall and a slab or soffit manually positioned on top of it.

Thanks,

--Jamie

commercial door glass replacement

I am trying to create a wall like the one in the picture with glass and a grid-like frame. How can I go about doing this?

wall.jpg

Custom backsplash or use cabinet shelves and partitions and redimension them to suit and change material to what you want.

Many ways...

Heck try windows and remove or make dims 0 for everything except maybe lights?

Have to play