Space Planning -> Build House wrong dimensions

ryanhass

I just about finished doing the remodel work in Home Designer, and decided to double check some of the measurements around the house. To my surprise, the measurements between walls in real life and in Home Designer were way off. I suspect that I may need to do something different to make the Space Planning tool work in the way I expected, but I am not sure what.

When I input the dimensions for each room in Home Designer using the Space Planning tool, I used the interior dimensions for each room. However, what I found is when I do "Build House" the dimensions of the rooms it creates are actually smaller than the dimensions of the room planning boxes. This seems to be because it builds walls using portions of adjacent spaces.

Is there a way to tell Home Designer to build rooms with the interior dimensions matching the dimensions of the space planner boxes, and build the walls between each room without subtracting from the measured spaces? Or do I need to change my measurements to account for the walls the program is going to build? 

Additionally, given all the work I have already done -- is there also a way to update the room/wall dimensions from the space planner without having to completely rebuild everything?

In the real world, walls are not all a uniform thickness like they are in a software program. Walls and also not perfectly "plumb" like they are in a software program. I have been a professional drafter and designer for over twenty years and this is well understood by building professionals, everywhere. The purpose of Construction Documents or Blue Prints is to communicate to other Building professionals the intent of the client or designer. Carpenters, Foundation Sub Contractors, plumbers, HVAC technicians, Architects, Engineers, General Contractors, Civic Plan Checkers, and Civic Inspectors are all either State Licensed or experienced in how to do their jobs. Plans are merely a "battle plan" about the concept of the project. It is extremely rare that a finished project mirrors, in every detail the original plans. Building Design and Architecture are creative endeavors in concert with those who wish to inhabit and use such products. Living projects commonly change as they become more and more "real" to those who are paying for the project, often their preconceptions change based upon the reality unfolding before their eyes. It is a Human creative thing and not a mechanical thing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            DJP

8 hours ago, ryanhass said:

using the Space Planning tool

The space planning tool sort of works for rough layout of spaces. Don't rely on it to generate accurate plans as that's not its intent.

Is there a way to tell Home Designer to build rooms with the interior dimensions matching the dimensions of the space planner boxes, and build the walls between each room without subtracting from the measured spaces?

No

Additionally, given all the work I have already done -- is there also a way to update the room/wall dimensions from the space planner without having to completely rebuild everything?

No

You will need to manually move walls to put them in the correct location. This is easily done using temporary dimensions.

There are good videos available -- linked above, that you might find helpful. Have you reviewed the Tutorial?

Also, depending on the specific software you are using, you may or may not be able to model your walls (thickness) accurately.

Thanks!

I am not going for 100% accuracy, but since the spaces I am working with are a little small I am just trying to be close as I can so that my cabinet selections are not completely unrealistic. I think the main point of confusion for me was space planner seems to create the walls within two adjoined spaces, rather than inserting the wall in between the two rooms/spaces. I wasn't accounting for this in my original measurements since it was not specially called out in any tutorials or the documentation for the feature. 

Thanks again!