Blueprinting plans on autocad

rlhomedesign

I would like to know the approximate cost to take my plans through the process

so that I can submit the plans to the county for review which include the stamp so I can build the house.

I've read that Auto cad converts the DXF file from Home designer to DWG so the Architect can then read and review the plans in Auto cad. True?

Thanks

2 hours ago, rlhomedesign said:

I've read that Auto cad converts the DXF file from Home designer to DWG

AutoCAD can import .dxf files, that is true (I work with Structural Engineers who commonly use AutoCAD). I do not know of any  Architects anywhere willing to take another's design and finish them into plans (they like to charge a percentage of the cost of a project after THEY design it, not you). I suppose you might be able to find an Architectural college student or an Architect that is semi-retired but not otherwise.

I have designed and drafted over four hundred custom homes, restaurants and shopping centers with people like you, I share my plans with a consulting State Licensed Structural engineer and have Never needed an Architect for any of those projects. In the end, it is up to you.

DJP

Most architects will not stamp plans drawn by someone else as it puts their license on the line for a project not designed/drawn by them. A structural engineer can review to make sure the correct framing members, connections, etc. are specified. I am thinking you mean to have them "printed" and then stamped? Not knowing where you are located, asking a user forum for pricing is somewhat pointless. Ask your contractor or check online for structural engineers in your area. They will be the best ones to tell you how much they will charge to review & stamp. There's a good chance they'll notate on the original plan the changes needed and send them back to you. Then you will need to make the corrections and once the plan is re-sent to them to review, then they will affix their stamp if everything is correct. Often they'll do it by PDF and once you have a stamped plan, you can send the PDF to a local print shop that has the correct equipment for the size paper you are using, etc. Or maybe the engineer can print them for you as part of their fee. They'll be the ones to ask.

4 hours ago, rlhomedesign said:

Approximate cost?

This depends upon where you are located, the requirements of your local permit authority in terms of submitted plans. Most such places have a website where such requirements are posted. A job that might require 4-5 pages can be done rather quickly after the model (.plan file) has been inspected. But if you live in California, Washington State or Oregon, the same project might require 30 pages of printed-scaled material. Where do you live, please?

DJP

I got this at the Horry County, SC - Code Website:

• "If your building or addition is a commercial type the following types of information must be submitted for review, regardless of size. (all plans must be drawn to scale) (allow twenty days for review)
    • Completed building permit application
    • Four copies of Site plans drawn to scale with existing and proposed structures, property lines with dimensions, streets, easements, and setbacks.
    • Completed NOI (Notice of Intent) form, if required for Stormwater review. Form available on the Stormwater Webpage under Permitting Information or by calling (843) 915-5160.
    • Two complete sets of architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing plans along with two(2) civil/site plans, showing the fire hydrant location.
  • The following information must also be submitted for commercial buildings prior to issuance of the building permit:
    • Verification of sewer service from DHEC or appropriate Sewer Company
    • Plan review approval from the Murrells Inlet/Garden City Fire Department if the building is located within their fire service area (tel. 843.651.5143)
    • Copy of contractor's license and a notarized letter allowing someone to act as his/her agent if someone other than license holder is picking up.
    • Notarized letter of authorization from property owner of record authorizing contractor to obtain building permit.
  • If your building or addition is a residential one or two family dwelling type and less than or equal to four hundred (400) square feet the following type of information must be submitted for review. (all plans must be drawn to scale)
    • Two site plans drawn to scale (zoning compliance)
  • If your building or addition is a residential one or two family dwelling type and is greater than four hundred (400) square feet the following quantities and types of information must be submitted for review. (all plans must be drawn to scale) (allow five to seven days for review)
    • Two site plans drawn to scale: Plans: 2 copies of plans drawn to scale with wind, Wind Design Summary Sheets and seismic design per 2015 IRC (with original SC engineer or architect seal).
  • The following information must also be submitted for residential one and two family buildings prior to issuance of the building permit:
    • Verification of sewer service from DHEC or appropriate Sewer Company
    • Contractor document (contractor license information and if someone other than contractor is obtaining permit must have notarized letter of authorization to secure permit for contractor
  • Regardless of building type, if the building is located within a 100 year floodplain as identified by the National Flood Insurance Program, additional information will be required. Contact the Horry County Floodplain Manager for additional information."

Looks like you have some homework to do. I do not know anything about some of the above requirements (Stormwater regulations, wind summary sheets) and I am not a licensed Mechanical Engineer. It looks like you have some hoops to jump through. You can do the initial Electric Plan though you may also need to obtain the help of a State Licensed Electrician to meet their requirements.

This may seem daunting but it is what your local government requires.

DJP